Author Topic: U.S. Economy Picks Up Speed, Defying Fed Attempts To Cool Inflation and Growth  (Read 355 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
U.S. Economy Picks Up Speed, Defying Fed Attempts To Cool Inflation and Growth

John Carney 23 May 2024

The U.S. economy got a major boost in May, according to the latest S&P surveys. Businesses are feeling good about the future, even with inflation still causing headaches.

The S&P flash U.S. services index, which is based on a survey of purchasing managers’ at U.S. businesses, shot up to a 12-month high of 54.8 in May from 51.3 in April. These are the folks buying supplies for their companies, so this is a big deal.

Not to be outdone, the flash U.S. manufacturing PMI climbed to 50.9 in May from 50.0. Anything above 50 means growth, so it looks like things are picking up.

“The US economic upturn has accelerated again after two months of slower growth, with the early PMI data signalling the fastest expansion for just over two years in May,” said S&P Global’s top economist, Chris Williamson.

New orders bounced back in May after dipping in April, a first since the end of last year. But when it comes to jobs, it’s a mixed bag. Manufacturers are hiring, but the service sector is shedding jobs largely because a tight labor market is making hiring difficult.

Raw material costs shot up in May, keeping inflation high. Businesses are trying to pass these costs onto customers, meaning higher prices for everyone.

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2024/05/23/u-s-economy-picks-up-speed-in-may-despite-inflation-woes/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Buying on credit can only work if you can print your own money, like our governmnt does.  For the rest of us we will be living in a van down by the river. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

Correction ... an eletric bio-degradeable van down by the undammed river.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline LMAO

Despite peoples concerns about the economy, most Americans rate their own finances as doing OK

People are still spending money and going to restaurants. The stock markets doing pretty well. There’s no gas lines or gas rationing like there was in the 1970s

Despite his cognitive decline, Biden’s chances of getting reelected are pretty good
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Despite peoples concerns about the economy, most Americans rate their own finances as doing OK

People are still spending money and going to restaurants. The stock markets doing pretty well. There’s no gas lines or gas rationing like there was in the 1970s

Despite his cognitive decline, Biden’s chances of getting reelected are pretty good
There are no gas lines or rationing because we have gas. It's still expensive.
Stock markets are going up on inflated prices.
I'm down to about once a month on restaurants. It's cheaper to eat at home.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Things are not good in the Vacation renal and restaurant business here in the Redneck Riviera.  Spring Break was way off and the official start of summer vacation (Memorial Day Weekend)  aint looking great. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.