Author Topic: Newsom Said He Wouldn’t Raise Taxes To Fix California’s Deficit. His Budget Proposal Includes $18 Bi  (Read 387 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Newsom Said He Wouldn’t Raise Taxes To Fix California’s Deficit. His Budget Proposal Includes $18 Billion in Tax Hikes for Businesses.

Susannah Luthi
May 20, 2024
California governor Gavin Newsom (D.) told reporters earlier this month he wouldn’t raise taxes to fix the state’s $73 billion budget hole, but buried in his latest budget proposal are $18 billion in temporary tax hikes for businesses.

Earlier this month, the governor repeatedly pledged he would not raise taxes to solve the budget crisis—which comes just two years after he boasted a nearly $100 billion surplus—telling reporters that "the answer is no," should Democratic lawmakers bring him tax hike proposals, and that "there’s only so many times I can say no to the tax question."

"I don’t see there’s real evidence and need right now to increase general taxes … in this state and put more burden on working folks and our competitive posture," he told one reporter who asked him if tax hikes were an "absolute nonstarter" for him.

Newsom unveiled his budget proposal on May 10, and the tax policy details the following week. The proposal would, for the next three years, bar businesses earning $1 million or more from deducting operating losses from their taxes while also limiting business tax credits. The provisions are projected to cost California businesses about $18 billion through 2027, although they wouldn’t take effect if tax collections beat expectations. Such a scenario appears unlikely, however, given that California’s tax revenues are massively down thanks to a stagnating economy and exodus of both high-earning residents and businesses.

https://freebeacon.com/california/newsom-said-he-wouldnt-raise-taxes-to-fix-californias-deficit-his-budget-proposal-includes-18-billion-in-tax-hikes-for-businesses/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 04:52:40 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A temporary tax on business?  No way San Jose!  Any tax ultimately is paid for by consumers which they will ignorantly, happily pay as long as it's hidden like a business tax. :tongue2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline PeteS in CA

Businesses aren't people, and have money-printing machines in their rectums.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Noisome continues his attack on California businesses and taxpayers, rather than cut spending on things like illegal aliens and other boondoggles he seems convinced that driving more producers out of the state and replacing them with teat sucking illegals is a good economic policy. California is still the Golden State, only difference is under Noisome it has become the Golden Rain on the remaining businesses and taxpayers heads.

What Noisome and the democrats seem to think the California taxpayers and businesses response will be to continued tax increases.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Democrat lying??? Surely you jest! /S
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Democrat lying??? Surely you jest! /S
It won't raise the average person's taxes.

It will, instead raise prices, and then the blame can be deflected onto 'greedy' business people.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DefiantMassRINO

Woah!  Woah!  Woah!  The California state legislature raised taxes.  Governor Greaseball is just signing them into law.  We civilians need to think more like scumbag lawyer weasel polticians.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright