Author Topic: What Is The Most Pernicious Example Of "Misinformation" Currently Circulating?  (Read 355 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What Is The Most Pernicious Example Of "Misinformation" Currently Circulating?
May 17, 2024/ Francis Menton

“Misinformation” — It has been one of the most-used buzzwords of the past few years.  The “misinformation” label has been applied by advocates on both sides of the political divide in the attempt to discredit their opponents.  Numerous assertions that have dominated the news cycle for months or even years have ultimately proven to be completely false, that is, “misinformation.”  Examples of such assertions that have been established as “misinformation” include the assertion that Trump colluded with Russia to steal the 2016 election; the assertion that the Hunter Biden laptop was a Russian plant; and the assertion that the Covid virus originated in a wet market in Wuhan.

After the thorough discrediting of so many false narratives during these years, there remain plenty of narratives still out there that richly deserve the “misinformation” label.  But of those, which is the very worst, the very most pernicious?  Here is my candidate:  the assertion that the cheapest way to generate electricity today is with wind and solar generators.

I recognize that there are many candidates for the title of the worst of all misinformation, and we are dealing here with a very crowded field.  Numerous other endlessly-repeated false assertions contend for the title, many of them having very large real-world consequences.  For example, other serious contenders for the title of “most pernicious misinformation” could include the assertion that emissions of CO2 and other greenhouse gases constitute a danger to human health and welfare; or the assertion that Israel is conducting a “genocide” against Palestinians.  Undoubtedly, you have other candidates to add to the list.

https://www.manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2024-5-17-what-is-the-most-pernicious-example-of-misinformation-currently-circulating
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Francis Menton asks:
"What Is The Most Pernicious Example Of "Misinformation" Currently Circulating?"

Fishrrman answers:
That "climate change" is fundamentally man-made and that it can be "reversed" through human action taken by authoritarian means.

How's that hit ya?

Offline LMAO

That we have only ten years left every ten years for the last few decades
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Francis Menton asks:
"What Is The Most Pernicious Example Of "Misinformation" Currently Circulating?"

Fishrrman answers:
That "climate change" is fundamentally man-made and that it can be "reversed" through human action taken by authoritarian means.

How's that hit ya?
Perfect. Indoctrinate and panic the indoctrinated, and you will control them.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

What Is The Most Pernicious Example Of "Misinformation" Currently Circulating?

That Democrats want what's best for this country.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

That Democrats want what's best for this country.

:thumbsup: