Author Topic: NATO Is Strong: Is It Time For The U.S. To Reduce Its Military Presence In Europe?  (Read 177 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NATO Is Strong: Is It Time For The U.S. To Reduce Its Military Presence In Europe?
The US has an opportunity to maintain its power in Europe, free up forces for potential conflict in the Indo-Pacific, and bring troops home. This opportunity also shifts some of the defense burden to European partners.

By Caleb Anderson
PublishedApril 19, 2024

Summary: Sweden’s recent admission to NATO has bolstered the alliance, offering the U.S. more strategic flexibility in Europe. Amidst broader global engagements, including crises in the Middle East and strategic pivots to Asia, there is growing domestic scrutiny of U.S. involvement overseas. With NATO’s strengthened presence in Europe, particularly through the addition of Sweden and Finland, and the capability of European allies, the U.S. is positioned to reduce its military footprint in Europe without compromising regional security. This would encourage European nations to assume greater responsibility for their defense, especially those not meeting NATO’s spending targets, while allowing the U.S. to reallocate resources to other global priorities.

America Needs a Lighter Military Footprint in Europe
This March, Sweden was finally admitted to NATO, overcoming delays from Turkey and Hungary. The “NATO Lake” has come to fruition and the United States should act like it. At the same time, the US is dealing with a crisis in the Middle East, as well as pivoting to Asia. All of this is in the face of rising public questioning over our entanglements abroad when we have issues at home to face. Since the US has higher priorities elsewhere, it is time for the US to pull back from Europe and encourage our NATO allies to take on more of the burden of European defense.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2024/04/nato-is-strong-is-it-time-for-the-u-s-to-reduce-its-military-presence-in-europe/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 04:16:06 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
YES.

It's time for us to GET OUT of Europe, and leave it to the Europeans to figure out.