Author Topic: Full Fifth Circuit Hears Arguments Over the Fate Of Texas' Floating Border Wall  (Read 134 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Full Fifth Circuit Hears Arguments Over the Fate Of Texas' Floating Border Wall

BY TYLER DURDEN
FRIDAY, MAY 17, 2024 - 06:20 PM

Authored by Bill Pan via The Epoch Times,

The legal saga over the fate of a 1,000-foot floating barrier on the Rio Grande has entered a new phase.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott last summer ordered the deployment of the string of giant orange buoys in the river near Eagle Pass. As a part of Operation Lone Star, the Republican governor’s signature initiative aimed to curb illegal border crossings from Mexico into his state, the buoys are anchored to the bottom and themselves rotate so that people can’t climb over or swim under them.

Following the installation of the barrier, the Biden administration sued Texas, demanding that it be taken down. Attorneys for Texas invoked the Constitutional right for each state to defend itself against “invasion”—in Texas’ case, by those illegally crossing the river, but that self-defense argument was rejected by the lower court, as did by a split three-judge panel of the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.

Arguing on Wednesday before a full, 17-member Fifth Circuit, attorneys for both Texas and the U.S. Department of Justice largely focused on the question of whether Mr. Abbott’s floating wall violates a Reconstruction-era law regulating the use of waterways.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...ng-border-wall
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
Guv Greg has already called Pedo Joe's bluff around cutting the wire.

I hope he does the same if the Appeal fails.  If the United States can't protect us, I hope we'll enlist state resouces instead.  I am not one who likes to pay more taxes, but I will gladly, if it is 100% earmarked to seal the border.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.