Author Topic: House Judiciary votes to hold Garland in contempt  (Read 246 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House Judiciary votes to hold Garland in contempt
« on: May 16, 2024, 07:20:51 pm »
 House Judiciary votes to hold Garland in contempt
by Rebecca Beitsch - 05/16/24 2:45 PM ET

The House Judiciary Committee on Thursday advanced a measure to hold in contempt Attorney General Merrick Garland in an 18-15 party line vote, a step Republicans on the House Oversight panel are also expected to take later this evening.

A last-minute move from President Biden to claim executive privilege over audio recordings from his interview with special counsel Robert Hur did not dissuade the GOP from proceeding, even as Garland said those asserting the privilege “cannot be prosecuted for criminal contempt of Congress.”

Republicans already have the transcript of Hur’s conversation with Biden, but they argue the audio recordings will be more revealing, suggesting pauses could speak to Hur’s commentary about the president’s cognitive functions of show a hesitancy to ask questions.

To Democrats, the only rationale for seeking the tapes is so the GOP can use them in campaign commercials, arguing they are misusing power purely for political gain.

“Transcripts do not capture demeanor evidence,” Rep. Dan Bishop (R-N.C.) said at the top of the hearing.

“Transcripts are often imperfect, especially to convey the timing of question and answer and disfluencies of a witness, or hesitations, among other things. All of that is demeanor evidence.”

The vote took place while many Republicans were in New York to show support for former President Trump during his hush-money trial.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4668654-house-judiciary-votes-to-hold-garland-in-contempt/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: House Judiciary votes to hold Garland in contempt
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 07:36:03 pm »
BFD! I've held him in contempt for years!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 07:58:23 pm »
I'm sure he's shaking in his oxfords.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2024, 08:30:14 pm »
I honestly don't see how you can hold Garland in contempt when there is a claim of executive privilege asserted by Biden.  If a court had already rejected that claim, then sure.  But when it hasn't yet been adjudicated, then no.