Author Topic: Fact check: Biden again falsely claims inflation was 9% when he became president  (Read 151 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Fact check: Biden again falsely claims inflation was 9% when he became president
Story by Daniel Dale, CNN • 12h •

For the second time in less than a week, President Joe Biden falsely claimed Tuesday that the inflation rate was 9% when he began his presidency.

Biden was criticized by many Republicans, including former president and current presidential rival Donald Trump, for telling CNN in an interview last Wednesday: “No president’s had the run we’ve had in terms of creating jobs and bringing down inflation. It was 9% percent when I came to office, 9%.”

Biden repeated the claim about the inflation rate, albeit in slightly vaguer form, in a Tuesday interview with Yahoo Finance. This time, he said: “I think inflation has gone slightly up. It was at 9% when I came in, and it’s now down around 3%.”

Facts First: Biden’s claim that the inflation rate was 9% when he became president is not close to true. The year-over-year inflation rate in January 2021, the month of his inauguration, was about 1.4%. The Biden-era inflation rate did peak at about 9.1% – but that peak occurred in June 2022, after Biden had been president for more than 16 months. The March 2024 inflation rate, the most recent available rate at the time Biden made these comments, was about 3.5%, up from about 3.2% the month prior.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/fact-check-biden-again-falsely-claims-inflation-was-9-when-he-became-president/ar-BB1moqey?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=bf7e96306516472fa1ed9d5bfda23285&ei=52
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Republicans ought to be on the lies from Biden like stink on sh*t.  That should be any time but especially with the fall elections nearing.  I'll bet you will see little to nothing from them. **nononono*
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 10:18:23 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson