Author Topic: ‘The stakes could not be higher’: world is on edge of climate abyss, UN warns  (Read 686 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘The stakes could not be higher’: world is on edge of climate abyss, UN warns
Top climate figures respond to Guardian survey of scientists who expect temperatures to soar, saying leaders must act radically

Climate scientists expect global heating to blast past 1.5C target
Damian Carrington Environment editor
Thu 9 May 2024 10.00 EDT

The world is on the verge of a climate abyss, the UN has warned, in response to a Guardian survey that found that hundreds of the world’s foremost climate experts expect global heating to soar past the international target of 1.5C.

A series of leading climate figures have reacted to the findings, saying the deep despair voiced by the scientists must be a renewed wake-up call for urgent and radical action to stop burning fossil fuels and save millions of lives and livelihoods. Some said the 1.5C target was hanging by a thread, but it was not yet inevitable that it would be passed, if an extraordinary change in the pace of climate action could be achieved.

The Guardian got the views of almost 400 senior authors of reports by the authoritative Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Almost 80% expected a rise of at least 2.5C above preindustrial levels, a catastrophic level of heating, while only 6% thought it would stay within the 1.5C limit. Many expressed their personal anguish at the lack of climate action.

“The goal of limiting global warming to 1.5C is hanging by a thread,” said the official spokesperson for António Guterres, the UN secretary general. “The battle to keep 1.5C alive will be won or lost in the 2020s – under the watch of political and industry leaders today. They need to realise we are on the verge of the abyss. The science is clear and so are the world’s scientists: the stakes for all humanity could not be higher.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/may/09/world-is-on-verge-of-climate-abyss-un-warns
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline The_Reader_David

If they really believed it, they would be demanding a massive push to build nuclear power plants.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
There is big money in pushing the ruse.  Big money behind it and bigger money to be made off of it.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
There have been predictions, all of them wrong, of climate calamities for well over a hundred years, we are gonna burn up, freeze, flood, run out of food with massive starvation and death. And now another bogeyman article, I can only assume that the true meaning of ‘The stakes could not be higher’ is the opportunity for charlatans, opportunists, ManBearPig and autistic high school dropouts to cash in.

From 2022

Tomorrow is Earth Day 2022 and marks the 52nd anniversary of Earth Day, so it’s time for my annual CD post on the spectacularly wrong predictions that were made around the time of the first Earth Day in 1970…..

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/18-spectacularly-wrong-predictions-were-made-around-the-time-of-the-first-earth-day-in-1970-expect-more-this-year/

https://www.britannica.com/list/10-failed-doomsday-predictions

Online mountaineer

The sky is falling!!! 🐔
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LMAO

Our doom has been predicted since man learned how to “predict”
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online libertybele

Climate abyss -- the U.N. warns!  Right.   :laughingdog:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
So long as leftists are able to sell this fake science, we will continue to be bombarded with this silly nonsense. Who is ever going to call these alarmists to account? No one, and they know it. And they'll have help from the media and other sectors that wield power (entertainment, universities, etc.) to crush dissenting voices. 

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online mountaineer

You all know the only solution, don't you? We must eliminate every human being on earth! This "professor" says so.

https://twitter.com/Babygravy9/status/1789955734714634446
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
You all know the only solution, don't you? We must eliminate every human being on earth! This "professor" says so.

https://twitter.com/Babygravy9/status/1789955734714634446

@mountaineer

Okay, professor. You first.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Kamaji

Total bullshit.