Author Topic: Red State Slapped With Lawsuit Over Law Allowing Officials To Arrest, Deport Illegal Immigrants  (Read 70 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Red State Slapped With Lawsuit Over Law Allowing Officials To Arrest, Deport Illegal Immigrants

Kim Reynolds and Donald Trump. (REUTERS/Leah Millis)

JAKE SMITH CONTRIBUTOR
May 09, 2024 4:21 PM ET

A number of civil rights groups filed a lawsuit against the state of Iowa on Thursday for passing a law allowing authorities to arrest and detain some illegal immigrants.

SF 2340, signed by Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds, grants local and state law enforcement the ability to arrest and press charges against illegal immigrants who have outstanding deportation orders, or who have reentered the U.S. after being previously deported or denied access to the interior of the country. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Iowa and the American Immigration Council are suing Iowa over the law on claims that it is unconstitutional and will disproportionately affect the state’s immigrant population.

“Supporters of this law say they passed it because they are tired of the way the federal government and the current administration is handling immigration enforcement. We can all agree that our immigration system needs improvement, but this law is no solution,” Erica Johnson, founding executive director of Iowa Migrant Movement for Justice, claimed in a statement on Thursday. “Instead, it increases fear among Iowa’s immigrant communities and overwhelms local groups who are doing the real work of finding solutions and creating thriving communities.”

https://dailycaller.com/2024/05/09/r...al-immigrants/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson