Author Topic: Net Zero? China Dominates Surge In New Coal Power, Setting Record Capacity Globally  (Read 191 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Net Zero? China Dominates Surge In New Coal Power, Setting Record Capacity Globally
by Bloomberg News  2 days ago in News Reading Time: 2 mins read

Global coal-power capacity rose to a record last year, led by a surge in new plants in China and a slowdown in retirements around the world, according to a new report from Global Energy Monitor. [emphasis, links added]

The world’s coal fleet grew by 2% to 2,130 gigawatts, with China accounting for about two-thirds of the increase followed by Indonesia and India, according to the climate research firm.

China also started construction on 70 gigawatts of new coal plants last year, nearly 20 times more than the rest of the world combined.

China’s expansion of what’s already by far the world’s largest coal fleet highlights Beijing’s continued focus on energy security after a series of economy-damaging power shortages in 2021 and 2022.

While officials say the plants will primarily be used to balance out intermittent generation from rapidly growing wind and solar farms, the building boom has raised questions about China’s climate commitments and stymied global efforts to phase out the use of the dirtiest fossil fuel.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/net-zero-china-dominates-surge-in-new-coal-power-setting-record-capacity-globally/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I thought China was held by the media as a model for fighting "climate change?!" :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson