Author Topic: Live Thread: Trump's hush money trial begins in NYC  (Read 86225 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Live Thread: Trump's hush money trial begins in NYC
« Reply #975 on: May 14, 2024, 04:38:18 pm »
5 minutes ago
Trump exhibits behavior normally associated with sleeping as Cohen testifies
By Ben Kochman

After being more animated earlier in the day, Donald Trump was slouched deep into his chair at the defense table, his eyes closed, for more than 20 minutes while Michael Cohen testifies.

Trump's lawyer Emil Bove reached over Trump at some point to pass a note to Todd Blanche, another lawyer. Trump did not react.

Whether Trump is actually asleep, or whether he's engaging in some sort form of silent protest, is hard to say for sure.

But this is behavior consistent with someone who is asleep.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #979 on: May 14, 2024, 04:52:08 pm »
4 minutes ago
Cohen says he started 'Mea Culpa' podcast while on home confinement
By Kyle Schnitzer

Cohen said he started his podcast "Mea Culpa" while on home confinement.

He said he named the podcast because it was "his responsibility" and it is his initials.

a few seconds ago
Cohen invited Stormy Daniels on podcast to make 'mea culpa' to her

Cohen testtfied he invited Stormy Daniels on his podcast because he "thought it was a good time to speak to her and make a mea culpa to her”
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #980 on: May 14, 2024, 04:58:33 pm »
a minute ago
Cross-examination of Michael Cohen to begin after lunch break

Court will resume after the lunch break with the cross-examination of Michael Cohen.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #981 on: May 14, 2024, 05:25:35 pm »
17 minutes ago
Cohen says he regrets breaking his 'moral compass' working for Trump
By Ben Kochman

In the last question asked by prosecutors before the lunch break, Michael Cohen said he regrets breaking his "moral compass" with his work for Donald Trump.

"I regret doing things for him that I should not have, lying, bullying people in order to effectuate the goal," he testified.

"I don't regret working for the Trump Organization. As I expressed before, I had some very interesting and great times," he added. "But to keep the loyalty and to do things that he asked me to do, it violated my moral compass and I suffered a penalty, as did my family."

We'll be back with cross-examination at 2:15.
Support the USO

Online libertybele

« Reply #982 on: May 14, 2024, 05:51:58 pm »
11:10
Trump surrogates stump outside of courthouse for former president while wearing matching outfits

Multiple Republican politicians dawned blue suits with red ties while delivering stump speeches in support of Donald Trump outside of the courthouse.

Former Republican presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswamy, North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum, Reps. Cory Mills and Byron Donalds all spoke out about the president's hush money trial.

They condemned the trial as politically motivated and illegitimate.

https://twitter.com/JMRaasch/status/1790408656166481953

MOL

It shows further unity I suppose. 

As a side note; it's too bad that Donalds lives in FL -- he'd make an excellent VP
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #983 on: May 14, 2024, 06:16:50 pm »
4 minutes ago
Prosecutors say Michael Cohen will be their last witness
By Post Staff

Michael Cohen will be the prosecution's 20th and final witness, Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Joshua Steinglass told the judge.

Prosecutors on Friday has said they would be calling Cohen and one other witness, but their plans appear to have changed.

It's unclear if the defense will call any witnesses.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #984 on: May 14, 2024, 06:18:08 pm »
11:51
Prosecution prepares Cohen for a bruising cross-examination from Trump's lawyers

From Rob Crilly, Senior Political Reporter inside the courtroom

The prosecution is working hard now to inoculate Cohen against what will be a difficult cross-examination.

In particular, Cohen pled guilty to tax evasion and making a false statement to a bank.

But during a recent Trump civil case, under oath, he said the guilty plea was essentially a lie, that he wasn't guilty, making him a perjuror in one court or the other.

That is a problem for the prosecution which now has him at the center of its case. What will the jury make of the idea that this is a man who lies to courts?

The prosecution is trying to tease out that Cohen has accepted the facts of the case against him, that there was an omission in his bank forms and an error in his taxes.

His point, he explains, is that for a first time offender with a clean tax history, prosecutors came down on him in an unusually heavy way.

The prosecution now has to deal with the fact he lost his law license and is now an outspoken critic of Trump - issues that will all be emphasized when the defense gets its chance to ask the questions.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #985 on: May 14, 2024, 06:26:00 pm »
13:14
Trump is back in the courtroom and Cohen is back on the stand

Former President Trump is back in the courtroom.

He looked toward the media and gave a slight nod as he came into the courtroom. Included in his entourage are Erica and Lara Trump, and lawyer Alina Habba, as well as Boris Epshteyn.

Vivek Ramaswamy is still here, seated a few seats down from Lara Trump.

Cohen is retaking the witness stand for the cross-examination.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #986 on: May 14, 2024, 06:29:12 pm »
6 minutes ago
'Crying little s--t': Blanche brings up Cohen's TikTok immediately during cross-examination
By Kyle Schnitzer

Todd Blanche came out swinging against Michael Cohen — immediately bringing up his TikTok posts that he's harped upon during the trial.

Blanche asked Cohen whether he recently described Trump as "crying little s--t" on TikTok in an April 23 post.

"It sounds like something I would say," Cohen said, before prosecutors objected.

Blanche then asked Cohen about a post where he mentioned himself and attorney Susan Necheles before more objections.

The judge then had a brief sidebar with lawyers and ordered the questions and answers stricken from the record.

"The questions are stricken. I don't believe there was an answer," the judge said.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #987 on: May 14, 2024, 06:34:22 pm »
4 minutes ago
Fired-up Todd Blanche brings up TikTok post in which Cohen calls Trump 'dictator douchebag'

Todd Blanche -- substantially more fired up than we've ever seen him -- confronted Michael Cohen right at the start of today's cross-examine over a TikTok tirade last month in which he called Trump a "dictator douchebag."

"Sounds like something I said," Cohen responded, speaking calmly and slowly.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #988 on: May 14, 2024, 06:34:45 pm »
13:30
Blanche to Cohen: Why did you say Trump 'belongs in a f***ing cage' like an animal?

Cohen is confronted with his own foul-mouthed attacks

Jurors are showing no signs of blushing at Blanche’s series of direct and even profane questions using Cohen’s own words.

The lawyer is establishing a record of Cohen speaking about the case despite the judge’s admonitions.

‘You referred to President Trump as a dictator douchebag, didn’t you?’ he said.

‘Sounds like something I said,’ was Cohen’s response.‘You referred to President Trump when he left the courtroom,’ saying he ‘goes right into that little cage, which is where he belongs in a f****** cage like an animal,’ was Blanche’s next question.
Support the USO

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #989 on: May 14, 2024, 06:36:58 pm »
The Judge is just another attorney for the prosecution.
All the prosecution has to do is to 'OBJECT!' about anything, and it will automatically be granted.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #990 on: May 14, 2024, 06:41:15 pm »
13:33
Trump is unimpressed so far

The cross-examination has started with fireworks. Cohen is being presented with things he has said or posted about Trump or this trial or the defense lawyers. The public gallery in the overflow room has erupted in laughter. Reporters are on the edge of their seats, waiting to see whether Cohen gets tripped up. The judge has made several interventions as objections have flowed.

Only one person is unmoved. Trump is sitting back in his chair, eyes closed. Either he had a good lunch and is suitably relaxed. Or he is putting on a show of how little he cares about any of this.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #991 on: May 14, 2024, 06:54:43 pm »
2 minutes ago
Cohen testifies he wants to see Trump convicted in hush money case

"Do you want to see President Trump convicted in this case?" asked Trump attorney Todd Blanche.

"Sure," Michael Cohen said, drawing laughs from the overflow room.

4 minutes ago
Cohen: I spend six days a week talking about Trump on TikTok
By Kyle Schnitzer

Michael Cohen testifies that he charges $5.99 for monthly subscriptions to his TikTok, but doesn't spend every day of the week talking about Donald Trump on the social media platform.

“Well, I only do it six days a week," Cohen said, when responding to a question about how many nights a week he speaks about Trump.

He then admitted that he talks about Trump "six days a week.”

Cohen said he started the TikTok account six weeks ago.

9 minutes ago
Cohen says he doesn't know how many times he's been told not to speak about Trump case
By Kyle Schnitzer

Trump attorney Todd Blanche pressed Michael Cohen on how often he has been warned by the Manhattan District Attorney's office not to speak about the "hush money" case.

Cohen testified he was told that it was "probably better off if you don't speak about it."

Blanche then tried to twist Cohen's words, insinuating they don't "direct you" to not speak about the case.

"Well, I do have a First Amendment right. I can speak," Cohen shot back.

He said he doesn't recall how many times prosecutors have asked him to refrain from talking about the case since the indictment last year
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #992 on: May 14, 2024, 06:55:40 pm »
13:49
Blanche tears into Cohen for memory lapse

Cohen, an experienced attorney, is relying on a common answer in testimony and depositions: saying he doesn’t recall to multiple questions by Blanche. Blanche is trying to nail him down on repeated warnings from prosecutors to not talk about the case, or about other matters where he assisted prosecutors.

‘No sir, I do not recall that either,’ he said when asked if he got a warning from the DA. ‘Because I don’t recall ever agreeing not to go on television.’

You don’t recall the district attorney telling you that you were unwittingly helping President Trump going on TV?’ Blanche asked. ‘No sir, Cohen said, his voice dropping to measurably in volume.

That prompted Blanche to ask how he could firmly recall details of years-old conversations with Trump.

Cohen stood firm on his right to talk, despite not remembering getting admonished. ‘I do have a First Amendment right. I can speak,’ he said.

MOL
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #993 on: May 14, 2024, 06:59:45 pm »
a minute ago
Jury shown merch from Cohen's website including Trump t-shirt, 'Convict 45' pin
By Kyle Schnitzer

Jurors were shown images of merchandise that appears on Michael Cohen's "Mea Culpa" podcast website — including a pin that suggests convicting Donald Trump.

According to the images, a "Convict 45" enamel pin is being sold for $17.

For $22, you can purchase a Send Him To The Big House Not The White House" coffee cup.

Cohen was asked by Trump attorney Todd Blanche about a shirt depicting Trump in an orange jumpsuit behind bars. Blanche complained to the judge about the shirt last week.

"You actually wore that t-shirt last week on your TikTok Wednesday night," Blanche asked, which Cohen said he was wearing it.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #994 on: May 14, 2024, 07:00:27 pm »
a few seconds ago
Cohen testifies that he still lives in a building with Trump's name on it
By Ben Kochman

"You still live in a building with Trump's name on it, correct?" Todd Blanche asked Michael Cohen.

"I do," Cohen replied.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #995 on: May 14, 2024, 07:06:52 pm »
2 minutes ago
After perking up briefly, Trump now has eyes closed again

Trump perked up at the start of cross-examination, chatting animatedly to lawyers on both sides of him at the defense table.

But now he's slouched again deep in his chair with his eyes closed, leaning back.

He has not opened his eyes for the past 10 minutes.

a few seconds ago
Cohen: 'I was knee deep into the cult of Donald Trump' in 2015
By Kyle Schnitzer

“At that time, I was knee deep into the cult of Donald Trump, yes," Michael Cohen testified when being asked about comments of praise he made in 2015 about Trump.

Blanche asked him if he was "obsessed" with Trump during that period, but Cohen wouldn't budge.

“I don’t think I’d categorize the word obsessed. I admired him tremendously,” Cohen said.

a minute ago
Cohen says he read 'Art of the Deal' twice and called it a 'masterpiece'

Todd Blanche has used part of his time today to elicit testimony from Cohen that Cohen read Trump's book "Art Of The Deal" twice.

"You have called it a masterpiece?" Blanche asked.

"Yes," Cohen replied.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #996 on: May 14, 2024, 07:13:37 pm »
14:04
Trump is asleep. Cohen is giving deadpan answers

Trump appears to have fallen asleep, while Cohen is keeping his cool.

The former president has his eyes closed with his chin resting on his chest.

Blanche brought up a February 2023 interview Cohen did on CNN with Don Lemon in which he said that the Manhattan District Attorney’s office asked him to hand over his two phones.

Blanche said that Cohen had ‘very specific recollections’ about calls with Trump in but ‘no recollection’ of promising prosecutors he wouldn’t go on TV.

In a flat voice, Cohen replied: ‘I don’t recall even having these conversations about not going on television’

Blanche tried asking the question again. Cohen replied: ‘I recall the conversations with President Trump at the time’

Blanche asked if Cohen asked if Cohen recalled a conversation with prosecutors last March in which they said ‘how important it was for you to stop talking?

Cohen said: ‘I don’t recall anything because I don’t recall agreeing not to go on television’

Blanche asked: ‘You don’t recall the District Attorney telling you you were unwittingly helping President Trump by going on TV?’

Cohen said: ‘No, sir’.

Cohen agreed that he had done about 200 episodes of his podcast and Trump was ‘mentioned in every single one’.

Turning to his posts on TikTok, Cohen said he started doing them to ‘vent because I have a difficult time sleeping, so I found an outlet’.

MOL
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #997 on: May 14, 2024, 07:14:12 pm »
14:06
The defense strategy is clear

Todd Blanche is leading the cross-examination. He has asked Cohen about the way prosecutors repeatedly asked him to stop commenting on the case, about the ways in which he might have monetized his views on Trump, including selling a $35 T-shirt depicting Trump in an orange jumpsuit behind bars.

What he hasn't asked him about yet is any of the evidence he presented about hush money payments and how he was reimbursed.

The strategy is clear: The defense wants to paint Cohen as an unreliable witness, who is obsessed by Trump and is consumed by hatred.

It makes for a spectacle. Whether it works is up to the seven men and five women of the jury.

MOL
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #998 on: May 14, 2024, 07:39:27 pm »
8 minutes ago
Court breaks for 15 minutes

We'll be back at 3:45 p.m.

10 minutes ago
Cohen testified that he turned to nightly TikTok rants as a sleep aid

Cohen testified today that he goes on TikTok for live streams six nights a week to "vent" and as a way to deal with struggles winding down at night.

"I was having a difficult time sleeping," he testified. He also described his TikToks as an "outlet."
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #999 on: May 14, 2024, 07:50:07 pm »
14:16
Jurors focus on Cohen as he defends anti-Trump merch: 'Send him to the big house, not the White House!'

After admitting that 'sure' he would like to see Trump convicted, Cohen is forced to confront anti-Trump items for sale on the web site for his podcast.

That includes a t-shirt that depicts Trump in an orange jump suit behind bars that Cohen was asked about.

It's part of an effort by defense lawyers to paint him as biased.

'Sure,' Cohen responded, with two jurors immedaitely turning their heads to catch his answer.

'If you go to the section that says mea culpa this shirt is available for sale. That’s one item,' Cohen said, getting in a plug with his answer.

'You actually wore that t-shirt last week on your ticktoc didn’t you on Wednesday night" Blanche asked trying to land a blow with the question.

'I did,' Cohen said, admitting to information that was widely available.

'Actually encouraging peole to go buy it right?' Blanche asked.

'Yes. It’s part of the merch store,' was Cohen's dry response.
Support the USO