Author Topic: Climate Cooking. How a few billionaires helped push climate science to the extremes  (Read 135 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Climate Cooking
How a few billionaires helped push climate science to the extremes

ROGER PIELKE JR.
APR 13, 2024

Happy Saturday! First, a few announcements. My paper, Scientific Integrity and U.S. “Billion Dollar Disasters” has passed peer-review and will soon be published in the new Nature journal npj Natural Hazards. You can read the as-accepted-draft of the paper at OSF, which I have just posted. (UPDATE 3PM, April 13 — I just learned that I won’t be testifying before the House on Tuesday, but still I’ll publish what would have been my written testimony here at THB). On Tuesday at 2PM ET, I’ll be testifying at the House Select Committee on the Coronavirus Pandemic at a hearing titled, “Academic Malpractice: Examining the Relationship Between Scientific Journals, the Government, and Peer Review.” Holden Thorp, editor-in-chief of Science is also scheduled to testify. I’ll post my testimony and reflections following the hearing, which you can watch here.

Below, I have updated a piece that I first published at Forbes in January 2020. It tells an very important part of the story of how the most extreme emissions scenario — RCP8.5 — came to 

This is a story of American democracy. In one sense, it’s a noble story. People with shared values came together to petition the government and the public on their political aims, just as envisioned by James Madison in Federalist 10.

In another sense it’s a story of privilege and conceit – the privilege in American democracy that accompanies being mindbogglingly wealthy and the conceit that climate politics could be best pursued by corrupting the scientific literature on climate change.

https://rogerpielkejr.substack.com/p/climate-cooking
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson