Author Topic: New Study: Global Wetland Loss Since 1700 “Far Less” Than Previously Estimated  (Read 167 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New Study: Global Wetland Loss Since 1700 “Far Less” Than Previously Estimated
By P Gosselin on 6. April 2024

EIKE latest climate video (German) here reports on a recent Stanford University-led study that found global wetlands losses had been grossly overestimated, too pessimistic.

Image cropped here.

According to the study, the U.S. has accounted for more wetland conversion and degradation than any other country. Overall, the study investigated wetlands in 144 countries.

Researchers find that the wetland ecosystems area has declined 21-35% (3.36 million square kilometers, an area larger than India)) since 1700 – due to human intervention, e.g. drainage. Though this may sound dramatic, it is “far less than the 50-87% losses estimated by previous studies.”

It needs to be noted that data before 1850 is scarce.

https://notrickszone.com/2024/04/06/new-study-global-wetland-loss-since-1700-far-less-than-previously-estimated/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson