Author Topic: ‘Grave Threat’: Calls Mount For SCOTUS To Intervene In Key Climate Lawsuit Against Major Energy Comp  (Read 140 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘Grave Threat’: Calls Mount For SCOTUS To Intervene In Key Climate Lawsuit Against Major Energy Companies

NICK POPE
CONTRIBUTOR
April 06, 2024

A number of current and former government officials, ex-military personnel and legal scholars are pushing for the Supreme Court to pick up a key climate change liability lawsuit in Hawaii and take it out of the state’s jurisdiction.

An organization led by former U.S. Attorney General Bill Barr, former high-ranking military officials, a number of state attorneys general and two prominent legal experts have each filed amicus briefs with the Supreme Court this week, urging it to take on Honolulu’s lawsuit against oil corporations, which alleges that the companies deliberately misled the public about their role in global warming. In their amicus briefs, the petitioners effectively point out that the case should be in the Supreme Court’s domain given the implications it could have for the U.S. economy, national security and federalism more broadly.

The defendants in the case — which include Chevron, Exxon Mobil and Shell  — have asked the Supreme Court to hear their case; the nuisance lawsuit will proceed to trial in a lower court pending any substantial developments, according to Reuters.

In November 2023, the Hawaii Supreme Court rejected the corporations’ argument that the legal challenge effectively intends to regulate emissions and interstate commerce, subjects which are the domain of the federal government, according to Reuters.

https://dailycaller.com/2024/04/06/heavyweights-back-big-oil-scotus-hawaii-climate-lawsuit-amicus-briefs/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson