Author Topic: Can ‘clean energy’ schemes get any crazier?  (Read 143 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Can ‘clean energy’ schemes get any crazier?
« on: April 02, 2024, 11:47:38 am »
19 hours ago Guest Blogger 66 Comments

Materials, costs and survivability for wind turbines on massive floating platforms defy reality

Paul Driessen

The US Interior Department’s Bureau of Ocean Energy Management recently designated two Wind Energy Areas in deepwater areas off the Oregon coast. BOEM is also reviewing offshore wind energy development options for the Gulf of Maine, Central Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico, and maybe Great Lakes.

They’re part of Team Biden’s plan to deploy 30,000 megawatts of offshore wind energy capacity by 2030 and 15,000 MW of floating offshore wind energy capacity by 2035. Capacity is what the turbines could generate, when the wind is blowing at optimal speeds, perhaps 30-40% of the year.

30,000 MW is what 2,500 12-MW turbines could generate. It’s enough to meet New York State’s current peak electricity needs on a hot summer day. Add the electricity required to replace gasoline cars and natural gas furnaces and stoves, meet surging AI, data center and streaming video demands, and charge grid-scale backup batteries – and New York alone would likely need 10,000 12-MW offshore turbines.

Meeting the soaring electricity needs of all US states would require hundreds of thousands more.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/04/01/can-clean-energy-schemes-get-any-crazier/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Can ‘clean energy’ schemes get any crazier?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 12:31:37 pm »

Of course they can.

There is always some evil genius out there who apply incredibly creative insanity to get rich, and with the power and force of the government behind them, come up with another ill-conceived scheme with a plethora of 'unintended consequences' just begging for the right people to suck up the kickbacks, bribes, stock options, and whatnot without regard for even the immediate, much less long-term effects.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis