Author Topic: Mold On The Menu: Scientists Create Surprising Meat Replacement  (Read 621 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Mold On The Menu: Scientists Create Surprising Meat Replacement
MARCH 14, 20241 COMMENT
by StudyFinds Staff

💡What To Know:

Scientists are using fungi to create a sustainable food alternative.
By altering fungi genes, researchers created a burger patty made of mold.
Gene editing boosted the food’s iron content, which gives meat its flavor and color.

BERKELEY, Calif. — Forget about ordering that juicy steak from your favorite restaurant — how about some mold? In a study that could transform the culinary world, researchers at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and the University of California-Berkeley have unlocked the potential of fungi to create what they’re calling sustainable, healthy, and flavor-rich food alternatives.

With animal-free dairy and vegetarian meat substitutes already reshaping consumer choices, this new research dives deeper into biotechnology’s role in producing environmentally friendly and cruelty-free products.

Fungi, a kingdom of organisms celebrated for its diverse and nutritious offerings, stands at the forefront of this food revolution. Vayu Hill-Maini, a chef-turned-bioengineer and an affiliate in the Biosciences Area at Berkeley Lab, alongside a team of researchers, sunk their teeth into an ambitious project to explore how modifying the genes in fungi can lead to the creation of novel flavors and textures in food.

https://studyfinds.org/mold-fungi-food/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Mold On The Menu: Scientists Create Surprising Meat Replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 11:16:53 am »
What's for dinner?  Mold, crickets, or python? :3:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 06:21:11 pm »
Seems to me I read an Asimov story, Caves of Steel? Where the Earth had become so used up that the population, the poor which was most of them, was fed by farming yeast mold and flavoring and texturing it.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 07:02:42 pm »
Seems to me I read an Asimov story, Caves of Steel? Where the Earth had become so used up that the population, the poor which was most of them, was fed by farming yeast mold and flavoring and texturing it.

This is so extraordinary to me...

The scenario brings squalid gray cities full of barely surviving masses, eking out existence on their daily allotment of gruel...

All the while, beyond the city gates the boundless bounty of God's creation goes unnoticed and without a human one to walk amid her glory.

Shall I not hunt the king's deer?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 07:24:40 pm »

The scenario brings squalid gray cities full of barely surviving masses, eking out existence on their daily allotment of gruel...

All the while, beyond the city gates the boundless bounty of God's creation goes unnoticed and without a human one to walk amid her glory.

These urbanist dystopian narratives truly get old. The Earth renews itself with the usual biological processes. If Chernobyl, Hiroshima and Nagasaki aren't proof of that, I don't know what is.

We have been so trapped by the globalist/corporatist/governmental BS we don't even know how to think much less fend for ourselves anymore.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 07:30:25 pm »

Hey at least in Asimov's story people had to live underground or under domes because of what had been done to deplete the Earth. Here we have a perfectly good Earth whose leaders are trying to scare the inhabitant to into living a substandard lifestyle entirely in an effort to control them.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 07:34:20 pm »
Hey at least in Asimov's story people had to live underground or under domes because of what had been done to deplete the Earth. Here we have a perfectly good Earth whose leaders are trying to scare the inhabitant to into living a substandard lifestyle entirely in an effort to control them.

Being here, seeing it happen before our eyes, one might wonder if it hasn't always been just that, all the way back to Babylon.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2024, 07:41:13 pm »
These urbanist dystopian narratives truly get old. The Earth renews itself with the usual biological processes. If Chernobyl, Hiroshima and Nagasaki aren't proof of that, I don't know what is.

We have been so trapped by the globalist/corporatist/governmental BS we don't even know how to think much less fend for ourselves anymore.

It's just truly so strange. Give me a shoestring and a knife and I won't be going hungry.

Getting folks past their first kills... Their first chicken harvest, their first hog or beef... Watching them at their butchering... Suddenly they know, suddenly they see.

The whole thing is bullshit. All of it. Generally speaking, a half acre garden, a little fishing and hunting, and the whole system that bends you means nothing. It can so easily be eschewed, like an evil hot-pocket.

But somehow, people can't be without their hot pockets.  :shrug:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2024, 09:32:18 pm »
"Mold On The Menu: Scientists Create Surprising Meat Replacement"

Hmmmm...
Will they name this "Soylent M" ???

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2024, 09:42:25 pm »
Mold On The Menu: Scientists Create Surprising Meat Replacement

No one has offered a convincing argument for a need to replace meat.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 09:46:53 pm »

In the Foundation series, there was one 'nationality' on Trantor that specialized in growing some type of gourmet plant/fungus food.  Sure everyone lived under a roof.  And there was no arable land available.  But the planet also maintained a population of 40 billion.

In the end when their power collapsed, they started razing buildings and returning to an agricultural society again.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 10:13:51 pm »

Bro, we're out here on Huxley's 'savage reservation', with dread things like dirt and the occasional animal poop...not where most of the particulates come from tire crumbs instead of mineral dust...
I have no interest in his dear, but as for those four legged ruminants,
Any month with an 'R'....
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 10:15:00 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis