Author Topic: In Central Asia’s Brutal Winter, Fossil Fuels Trump Climate Politics  (Read 165 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

In Central Asia’s Brutal Winter, Fossil Fuels Trump Climate Politics
10 hours ago Guest Blogger 15 Comments
By Vijay Jayaraj

Globally, winter cold kills more people than summer heat, and winter in Central Asia is no gentle visitor. Temperatures can plummet to minus 40°C (-40°F), transforming bustling cities into frozen landscapes and testing the limits of human endurance.

Rich in history and diverse in geography, the region is also known for biting cold that tests the resilience of its inhabitants. The winter struggle is especially intense in rural areas, where shelter and other infrastructure are often rudimentary. Wood and coal have long been used for heat.

For example, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan – three Central Asian countries seldom mentioned in the media – rely heavily on abundant coal reserves for heat and energy. They all have insecure energy systems, and their major cities regularly face power blackouts in Winter.

However, this economical energy source, along with natural gas and oil, have come under attack by international political institutions like the European Union and United Nations and leftist politicians and funding entities. Armed with the pseudoscience of climate change, fearmongering opportunists are seeking to ban the fuels that are a lifeline for the people of Central Asia.

Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan generate more than 95% of their electricity from gas, oil and coal. Uzbekistan is set to increase coal production by 22% and is conducting geological exploration across 31 thousand square kilometers of new sites. Meanwhile, Kazakhstan is increasing oil production and plans to increase exports to Eastern Europe.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/02/26/in-central-asias-brutal-winter-fossil-fuels-trump-climate-politics/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson