Author Topic: Bloomberg columnist: ‘Forests Are Doing Better Than We Think’ – ‘It has been the rise of fossil fuel  (Read 487 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Bloomberg columnist: ‘Forests Are Doing Better Than We Think’ – ‘It has been the rise of fossil fuels that turned the corner on deforestation’ as coal, oil, & gas replaced wood as an energy source
By Marc Morano
February 4, 2024
6:28 am

https://archive.md/2024.01.29-002251/https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2024-01-28/climate-change-forests-are-doing-better-than-we-think

David Fickling is a Bloomberg Opinion columnist covering energy and commodities. Previously, he worked for Bloomberg News, the Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times.

Excerpts: You might be surprised to discover, then, that many of the world’s woodlands are in a surprisingly good condition….

Take England. Forest coverage now is greater than at any time since the Black Death nearly 700 years ago, with some 1.33 million hectares of the country covered in woodlands. The UK as a whole has nearly three times as much forest as it did at the start of the 20th century.

https://www.climatedepot.com/2024/02/04/bloomberg-columnist-forests-are-doing-better-than-we-think-it-has-been-the-rise-of-fossil-fuels-that-turned-the-corner-on-deforestation-as-coal-oil-gas-replaced-wood-as-an-energy-so/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Go into any forest in mid-summer (around here at least) and it'll be teaming with plant and animal life, thick as a rainforest, and bugs will eat you alive. Same as they've ever been. It's leftist rhetoric to say that we're killing the environment... really? because my yard is  weed infested mess. The environment seems to be doing just fine, even if it is warming. Not that there aren't isolated areas where it is truly a problem.

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
When I was living at home, some 60 years ago, the air was heavy with foundry slag, it smelled as if you were in the factory, some areas were so polluted if you drove through them, the crap in the environment was so thick you had to wash your car.  But that was before global goreing so I guess the air was better then. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
When I was living at home, some 60 years ago, the air was heavy with foundry slag, it smelled as if you were in the factory, some areas were so polluted if you drove through them, the crap in the environment was so thick you had to wash your car.  But that was before global goreing so I guess the air was better then. *****rollingeyes*****
One of the most impressive things about Gary, Indiana when I first drove through, was the brown dome you could see for miles over the city. But that was 45 years ago, and between shutting down industry and moving target emissions standards, the last time I was in the area, the dome was gone.
Having put in standards or closures that eliminated the real and readily visible pollutants, the EPA, in order to continue expanding, and existing at the previous levels of staffing, created by decree other pollutants. SMOG, as we knew it, was gone, eliminated by new emissions requirements, and that was good. No more gray snow in Pittsburgh, no brown haze over the hives of humanity, even if that industry was now elsewhere (along with at least some of those emissions). But the NIMBYs of environmental regulation needed (desperately if they were going to keep their jobs) a new boogeyman.

Now it had to be something that was common (or more so) than cat crap, something already in the atmosphere and that virtually everything alive either required for life or exhaled as a matter of respiration. Something you couldn't see, because like invisible friends, invisible enemies are the bestest.

It wasn't until the trailing indicator of CO2 levels in the earth's atmospheric history could somehow be presciently blamed for the weather, that it could be declared a pollutant, and well, here we are, trapped in a nonsensical spiral of human self destruction for "the planet" (which will continue to exist, even if devoid of life on the outside, like the first couple of billion years it was here).

But then, it isn't about the environment, nor the ecology (which is a balance), nor even preserving dynamic systems in stasis, it is about the preservation of Power, the Power to determine who and what wins or loses to the accumulation of wealth by a few, who are calling for the rest of us to die off, plants included.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
One of the most impressive things about Gary, Indiana when I first drove through, was the brown dome you could see for miles over the city. But that was 45 years ago, and between shutting down industry and moving target emissions standards, the last time I was in the area, the dome was gone.
Having put in standards or closures that eliminated the real and readily visible pollutants, the EPA, in order to continue expanding, and existing at the previous levels of staffing, created by decree other pollutants. SMOG, as we knew it, was gone, eliminated by new emissions requirements, and that was good. No more gray snow in Pittsburgh, no brown haze over the hives of humanity, even if that industry was now elsewhere (along with at least some of those emissions). But the NIMBYs of environmental regulation needed (desperately if they were going to keep their jobs) a new boogeyman.

Now it had to be something that was common (or more so) than cat crap, something already in the atmosphere and that virtually everything alive either required for life or exhaled as a matter of respiration. Something you couldn't see, because like invisible friends, invisible enemies are the bestest.

It wasn't until the trailing indicator of CO2 levels in the earth's atmospheric history could somehow be presciently blamed for the weather, that it could be declared a pollutant, and well, here we are, trapped in a nonsensical spiral of human self destruction for "the planet" (which will continue to exist, even if devoid of life on the outside, like the first couple of billion years it was here).

But then, it isn't about the environment, nor the ecology (which is a balance), nor even preserving dynamic systems in stasis, it is about the preservation of Power, the Power to determine who and what wins or loses to the accumulation of wealth by a few, who are calling for the rest of us to die off, plants included.

I read somewhere that 1970 was the worst year for particulates in air pollution in the US. So I can definitely see that.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Go into any forest in mid-summer (around here at least) and it'll be teaming with plant and animal life, thick as a rainforest, and bugs will eat you alive. Same as they've ever been. It's leftist rhetoric to say that we're killing the environment... really? because my yard is  weed infested mess. The environment seems to be doing just fine, even if it is warming. Not that there aren't isolated areas where it is truly a problem.

While yes we feed the soil well and keep it very fertile, I can tell you in the last 10 years or so the plants seem to grow in a way that I've never seen. Lush, green, very healthy looking, and grow like crazy.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 11:04:56 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Smokin Joe observes:
"Now it had to be something that was common (or more so) than cat crap, something already in the atmosphere and that virtually everything alive either required for life or exhaled as a matter of respiration. Something you couldn't see, because like invisible friends, invisible enemies are the bestest.
It wasn't until the trailing indicator of CO2 levels in the earth's atmospheric history could somehow be presciently blamed for the weather, that it could be declared a pollutant, and well, here we are, trapped in a nonsensical spiral of human self destruction for "the planet" (which will continue to exist, even if devoid of life on the outside, like the first couple of billion years it was here)."

Posted earlier, I'll repeat:
==================
CO2 was chosen to be a climate "boogie man" because of its inability to fight back.

From "Rules for Radicals":
Rule 11: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, polarize it. Don't try to attack abstract corporations or bureaucracies. Identify a responsible individual. Ignore attempts to shift or spread the blame.

THAT's why they picked carbon dioxide -- it's an essential atmospheric compound of life, but it's also an ideal target upon which to thrust blame.

How can CO2 "defend itself"?

A brilliant move by the greenunists to create an "atmospheric Goldstein"...