Author Topic: Study: Carbon footprint of homegrown food five times greater than those grown conventionally –  (Read 561 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Study: Carbon footprint of homegrown food five times greater than those grown conventionally – ‘Individual garden infrastructure responsible for increased levels of CO2’
By Marc Morano
January 23, 2024
9:44 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/22/carbon-footprint-homegrown-food-allotment-increase/

UK Telegraph: “The carbon footprint of homegrown foods is five times greater than produce from conventional agricultural practices, such as rural farms, data show.

A study from the University of Michigan looked at how much CO2 was produced when growing food in different types of urban farms and found that, on average, a serving of food made from traditional farms creates 0.07kg of CO2.

The impact on the environment is almost five times higher at 0.34kg per portion for individual gardens, such as vegetable patches or allotments.”

https://www.climatedepot.com/2024/01/23/study-carbon-footprint-of-homegrown-food-five-times-greater-than-those-grown-conventionally-individual-garden-infrastructure-responsible-for-increased-levels-of-co2/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Are big business and global warming conspiring against the consumer? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I plan on expanding my Victory Gardens footprint this year.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

We'll need to grow our own food for survival when these Global Climate Change fruitcakes' fertilizer ban cause global famine.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
This is just stupid, what are the people with homegrown food doing, using tractors to cultivate their small plots, bussing in migrants to perform the harvest? If you have thousands of small plots with plants 'eating' C02, and being cultivated and picked by hand, how are they possible putting more C02 into the atmosphere than they remove?

Offline Hoodat

Same here.  Clearly, 'they' don't want us growing our own food.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
And remember folks we have always been at war with Eastasia.
The Republic is lost.

Offline mountaineer

And remember folks we have always been at war with Eastasia.
That's the gist of it.

The garden I grow with no fertilizer, no pesticides, no gasoline-powered devices somehow is bad for the environment. Welcome to Bizarro World.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

That's the gist of it.

The garden I grow with no fertilizer, no pesticides, no gasoline-powered devices somehow is bad for the environment. Welcome to Bizarro World.

The garden you grow provides you with independence.  And that is the thing they cannot tolerate.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Me, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis