Author Topic: Germany’s dream of building a fleet of hydrogen-fired power plants is faltering  (Read 487 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Germany’s dream of building a fleet of hydrogen-fired power plants is faltering
JANUARY 26, 2024

By Paul Homewood

h/t Dennis Ambler

When green fantasies hit the brick wall of cold reality!

By 2035, Germany wants to produce 100% of its power in a climate-neutral way. To back up wind turbines and solar panels, whose production is expected to dominate in the coming years, the government initially envisioned a fleet of hydrogen-fired power plants.

But these plans are now faltering amid a prolonged government budgetary crisis, said Sigfried Russwurm, the president of Germany’s powerful industry association BDI.

In early August 2023, the German government triumphantly announced that the European Commission had essentially greenlit its plan for subsidised backup power plants.

That meant 8.8 GW of dedicated hydrogen power plants, alongside 15 GW of natural gas-powered ones that ought to switch to hydrogen by 2035 at the latest, in total representing about one-third of the German peak power demand of 2023. Climate-friendly power at the press of a button.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2024/01/26/germanys-dream-of-building-a-fleet-of-hydrogen-fired-power-plants-is-faltering/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
How many BTU's of fossil fuels does it take to produce a BTU equivalent of hydrogen...?  How much does that cost?

Offline Hoodat

This is by far the stupidest idea I have ever heard.  How much electricity does it take to create the hydrogen that is burned to create electricity?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-