Author Topic: Biden vows to shut down border when it ‘becomes overwhelmed’ if Congress passes bill  (Read 532 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Biden vows to shut down border when it ‘becomes overwhelmed’ if Congress passes bill
by Tara Suter - 01/27/24 7:52 AM ET

President Biden promised to shut down the border “when it becomes overwhelmed” if Congress passes a bipartisan border security bill.

“Let’s be clear,” Biden said in a statement Friday. “What’s been negotiated would — if passed into law — be the toughest and fairest set of reforms to secure the border we’ve ever had in our country.  It would give me, as President, a new emergency authority to shut down the border when it becomes overwhelmed.  And if given that authority, I would use it the day I sign the bill into law.”

Speaker of the House Mike Johnson (R-La.) said if reports about the terms of the deal are accurate, legislation on border security and Ukraine aid would have been “dead on arrival” in the House, in a letter to colleagues Friday.

“I wanted to provide a brief update regarding the supplemental and the border, since the Senate appears unable to reach any agreement. If rumors about the contents of the draft proposal are true, it would have been dead on arrival in the House anyway,” Johnson said.

The United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) confirmed that in December, there were 302,034 encounters at the southern border, setting a record high.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/4433114-biden-vows-shut-down-border-when-overwhelmed-should-congress-pass-bill/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
There's nothing "clear" about Biden's fuzzy brain! **nononono*

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
So like right now then?
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

Obviously Joe's definition of 'overwhelmed' and mine are very different.  The border has become 'overwhelmed' for years.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

Ron DeSantis
@GovRonDeSantis
Stopping the invasion at our border is a matter of will.  It doesn’t require a so-called deal that codifies into law illegal entries in excess of 1.8 million per year and provides incentives for future illegal immigration.

https://twitter.com/GovRonDeSantis/status/1751291047559237781
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Biden vows to shut down border when it ‘becomes overwhelmed’ if Congress passes bill"

Charlie Brown.
Lucy.
Football.