Author Topic: Here’s The Left’s Latest Legal Tactic To Take ‘Big Oil’ Down With Climate Lawfare  (Read 467 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
WRITTEN BY MEGHAN BLONDER ON JAN 22, 2024. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

Here’s The Left’s Latest Legal Tactic To Take ‘Big Oil’ Down With Climate Lawfare

space age fuelLast summer, the leaders of Multnomah County—the liberal Oregon enclave that includes most of Portland—filed a high-profile lawsuit seeking $1.5 billion in damages from the world’s top oil and gas producers.

Exxon, Shell, BP, and others, county leaders argued in their complaint, knew that their “fossil fuel products” caused “catastrophic harm” but told the public otherwise, thus making those companies liable for a heat wave that struck the Beaver State in 2021. [emphasis, links added]

The county’s complaint referred to “the world’s largest oil companies” and laid out their “international operations,” through which the companies produce millions of barrels of oil per day.

Left-wing media coverage of the suit also emphasized the defendants’ global reach: The Guardian said the suit targeted “major oil and gas companies,” while Mother Jones touted the county’s work to take on “Big Oil.”

One defendant included in the county’s complaint, however, was not mentioned in those stories.

That defendant, Space Age Fuel, is not among “the world’s largest oil companies.” Its operations are also not “international”—they’re limited to the Pacific Northwest.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/heres-the-lefts-latest-legal-tactic-to-take-big-oil-down-with-climate-lawfare/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
This kind of thing helps strengthen my belief "climate change" isn't a scientific issue but a political one. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Portland is upwind of just about everything in the US.

Any settlement should include excluding all inside the City limits from any Oil and Gas derived products, including electricity generated by either.

By no means should that list be confined to fuels, but anything made with oil and gas as a parent material.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
This kind of thing helps strengthen my belief "climate change" isn't a scientific issue but a political one. :pondering:

And there's so much evidence out there to debunk it, if someone would just put it together and use it against their 'consensus' bs. I'm tired of inquisitional politics trying to be passed off as science.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Portland is upwind of just about everything in the US.

Any settlement should include excluding all inside the City limits from any Oil and Gas derived products, including electricity generated by either.

By no means should that list be confined to fuels, but anything made with oil and gas as a parent material.

All the population is in the cities. They all vote Rat. They all want to end 'fossil' fuel use. Like the sanctuary city issue, let's start there and hold them to their word.

Solve that problem and emissions will go down so fast it won't matter what we in the rural and small towns do after that.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
All the population is in the cities. They all vote Rat. They all want to end 'fossil' fuel use. Like the sanctuary city issue, let's start there and hold them to their word.

Solve that problem and emissions will go down so fast it won't matter what we in the rural and small towns do after that.
Well, close the valves, stop the trucks at the suburbs, and let them do without.

After busting my ass for over 40 years to help supply America with Oil and Gas, doing my part, I am so sick of the whiners showing up in their synthetic gear with a host of products that are ultimately derived from oil or NGL feedstocks, to protest what I devoted my career to finding, often in circumstances that would send them running back to their climate controlled environs.

My attitude is one of if they don't want it, then we should not give them any, or sell it to them either.

Reserve those reserves for those of us who appreciate them and the cities can frigging implode, for all I care. Build a fence around them, though, because the last thing i want is for them to be heading out to the boondocks to tell US how to live.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 10:26:02 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis