Author Topic: Survey says 57 percent of U.K. fishermen saw lower catches, profitability around wind turbines  (Read 496 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
filed:  January 19, 2024 • U.K.
Survey says 57 percent of U.K. fishermen saw lower catches, profitability around wind turbines
Credit:  January 18, 2024 | Kirk Moore | nationalfisherman.com ~~

Translate:  FROM English | TO English

Early results from a survey of fishermen who work around offshore wind projects in the United Kingdom show “more than half of those surveyed have cited a negative outcome on catches and profitability,” according to the Plymouth Marine Laboratory.

The research group is conducting a survey of fishermen through Jan. 21 to assess the impact on the fishing industry from wind power developments. Most of the fishermen responding to the survey so far fish within 6 and 12 nautical miles offshore.

They work on boats from 20 to 140 feet, using “trawls, dredges, creels, pots, jigging machines, hand lines, trammel and gill nets,” according to a Jan. 10 update from the Plymouth Marine Laboratory.

Claire Szostek, an ecosystems services scientist at the Plymouth Marine Laboratory, described some initial results from the survey, encouraging other commercial fishermen to contribute information about how they have been affected, and anticipated future impacts of wind turbine construction.

https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2024/01/19/survey-says-57-percent-of-u-k-fishermen-saw-lower-catches-profitability-around-wind-turbines/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
And dead whales around American offshore turbines. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson