Author Topic: Phase 2 of Marine infantry battalion experiment kicks off  (Read 145 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Phase 2 of Marine infantry battalion experiment kicks off
« on: January 04, 2024, 02:39:23 pm »
Phase 2 of Marine infantry battalion experiment kicks off
By Todd South
 Jan 4, 02:59 AM

A restructured infantry battalion will spend 2024 experimenting with new capabilities and added medical staff as the Corps rethinks the role of infantry for the future fight.

Marines with 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, out of the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center at Twentynine Palms, California, were tasked in 2023 with conducting the second phase of the service’s infantry battalion experiments.

In the first phase of experiments, the Corps experimented with three different sizes of infantry battalions to add new tech and reduce the number of Marines in the Corps’ base unit of independent combat operations.

For nearly four decades the size of the infantry battalion has hovered near 965 Marines and sailors. That was down from more than 1,000 Marines in the standard infantry battalion during the Vietnam War.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2024/01/04/new-in-2024-phase-2-of-marine-infantry-battalion-experiment-kicks-off/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson