Author Topic: Air Force audit says B-52 modernization undercut by failure to track spare parts needs  (Read 301 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Air Force audit says B-52 modernization undercut by failure to track spare parts needs
By GARY WARNER
STARS AND STRIPES • January 1, 2024

The Air Force risks undermining its $48.6 billion B-52 Stratofortress modernization plan by failing to track what spare parts are available for the aged bomber and where they continue to be manufactured.

“Despite its age, the B-52 remains a cornerstone in the Air Force’s arsenal,” Air Force Inspector General Robert P. Storch wrote in an audit released Nov. 28. “The supply chain challenges identified in this audit could impact the Air Force’s ability to keep the aircraft flying.”

The Air Force operates 76 B-52H bombers, the last built in 1962. They are the last of 744 B-52s built by Boeing for the Air Force, the first to enter service with the Air Force in 1955.

A $48.6 billion Pentagon plan calls for the B-52 to receive upgrades to extend its service life until 2060. The bombers would get new Rolls Royce F130 engines, upgraded avionics, radar, and an enlarged and modernized weapons bay. After the transition, the bombers would change their designation to signify a new variant, B-52J.

https://www.stripes.com/branches/air_force/2024-01-01/air-force-audit-b52-modernization-failure-track-spare-parts-12505723.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
V-22s are grounded, F-35s have parts problems, B-52s have parts problems, there is a pilot shortage, and a shortage of munitions.  The Air Force had better get their global warming problems under control. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
V-22s are grounded, F-35s have parts problems, B-52s have parts problems, there is a pilot shortage, and a shortage of munitions.  The Air Force had better get their global warming problems under control. *****rollingeyes*****
Maybe they are on the back burner, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Maybe they are on the back burner, too.

Not a chance with Brandon as CIC. **nononono*
Thomas Jefferson