Author Topic: Impact of wind turbines on wildlife: Significant displacement in bird and mammal populations  (Read 520 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
filed:  December 19, 2023 • Finland
Impact of wind turbines on wildlife: Significant displacement in bird and mammal populations
Credit:  18 December 2023 helsinkitimes.fi ~~

Translate:  FROM English | TO English

Wind turbines, a crucial component of green energy transition, have been found to adversely affect various bird and mammal groups, causing them to avoid these areas. Research conducted by the Natural Resources Institute Finland (Luke) involved a comprehensive review of 84 studies across 22 countries, analyzing the impact of wind turbines on these animals.

The studies revealed that 63% of bird species, 72% of bats, and 67% of terrestrial mammals displayed avoidance behavior, steering clear of wind turbine areas.

Particularly affected were common cranes, owls, and reindeer, which showed consistent displacement, often retreating as far as 5 km from the turbines. Gallinaceous birds, bats, waterfowl, raptors, passerines, and waders also exhibited varying degrees of displacement.

The review highlighted that these shifts could result in population declines, reduced offspring production, altered mating behaviors, and increased offspring mortality, posing significant threats to rare and endangered species. Factors influencing non-displacement included species-specific traits, young age, natural preferences for open environments, and availability of resources around wind turbines.

https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2023/12/19/impact-of-wind-turbines-on-wildlife-significant-displacement-in-bird-and-mammal-populations/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I have noticed giraffes avoid the windfarms in ND.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

I believe there's a good chance that with large numbers of wind turbines there will be significant climate change in those areas and perhaps down stream of them. You can't suck substantial energy out of the atmosphere without changing wind patterns/flows. Those wind patterns/flows have a large effect on temperatures and precipitation.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I believe there's a good chance that with large numbers of wind turbines there will be significant climate change in those areas and perhaps down stream of them. You can't suck substantial energy out of the atmosphere without changing wind patterns/flows. Those wind patterns/flows have a large effect on temperatures and precipitation.
The environmental Nazis will just blame the results of their ignorance on climate change and the Gaia worshippers will lap it up because...it's what human lemmings do