Author Topic: ‘Misinformation’ service NewsGuard targeted in defense bill  (Read 178 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘Misinformation’ service NewsGuard targeted in defense bill
« on: December 14, 2023, 05:54:36 pm »
‘Misinformation’ service NewsGuard targeted in defense bill

By Bill Gertz - The Washington Times - Wednesday, December 13, 2023
NEWS AND ANALYSIS:

The 2024 defense authorization bill now in its final stages on Capitol Hill contains a provision that would restrict the Pentagon from spending money on an advertising agency that relies on the self-described “counter-misinformation” group NewsGuard, a blow to the left-leaning organization that critics say unfairly targets conservative media.

The restriction in the proposed annual National Defense Authorization Act recently survived a House-Senate conference. The final bill is being taken up by both chambers this week.

The provision calls on the defense secretary to ensure all ad agencies that contract with the Defense Department do not “place advertisements in news sources based on personal or institutional political preferences or biases, or determinations of misinformation.”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/dec/13/inside-ring-misinformation-service-newsguard-targe/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: ‘Misinformation’ service NewsGuard targeted in defense bill
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 05:57:51 pm »
I can see democrats and politicians turning this on republicans by using it to "show" how it is actually conservatives who want to kill free speech. :yowsa:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson