Author Topic: Amid recruiting woes, active duty end strength to drop again in 2024  (Read 280 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Amid recruiting woes, active duty end strength to drop again in 2024
By Leo Shane III
 Dec 14, 08:54 AM

The smallest U.S. military force in more than 80 years is about to get even smaller.

Under end strength levels outlined in the annual defense authorization bill passed by the Senate Wednesday evening and expected to be passed by the House on Thursday, the total number of active-duty troops in the armed forces will drop to 1,284,500 in fiscal 2024. That’s down nearly 64,000 personnel in the last three years and the smallest total for America’s military since 1940, before the United States’ entry into World War II.

Lawmakers say the reason for the lower target isn’t a decrease in missions or threats in recent years. Instead, the number reflects recruiting challenges across the services and an expectation of what level of personnel is realistic in coming months.

Despite bipartisan support for the authorization bill calling for a reduced force size, several lawmakers said they are worried the reduction is already putting the country at risk.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2023/12/14/amid-recruiting-woes-active-duty-end-strength-to-drop-again-in-2024/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Amid recruiting woes, active duty end strength to drop again in 2024
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 05:49:36 pm »
That's my military! :0012:  If they can't get enough people to join, cut the needs on paper and everything is great! :wtf:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 06:06:43 pm »
What do they expect when America's politicians treat them as the hired help to go cleanup every mess left by failing civilian institutions?

They have to fight to get the medical care they earned during their service from the VA.

Their families are forced to move and live on the brink of poverty, all the while drinking contaminated water on base.

When you treat people like crap, and the have a choice, they go elsewhere.

They'll need a compulsory draft or have to enlist foreign nations like the Roman Empire had to do towards the end.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 10:49:14 pm »
Ahem... is it just me, or is that "a draft" I feel in here...?