Author Topic: Chicago must remain a sanctuary city because ‘that is who we are’  (Read 375 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Chicago must remain a sanctuary city because ‘that is who we are’
We rejected Donald Trump’s xenophobia in 2016 and 2020, and Chicago must reject it now as the presidential election and Democratic National Convention approach in 2024, state Sen. Robert Peters writes.
By  Robert Peters   Dec 3, 2023, 7:15am EST

Let me start by saying something other politicians won’t say: No one knows what to do in the face of the current migrant crisis. We’re making good progress, thanks to city and state funding commitments, but we need federal assistance. Short of that, the crisis will continue.

However, a cohort of strange bedfellows in Chicago’s City Council — including members of the Black and Latino caucuses as well as descendants of Irish and Italian immigrants — are proposing a different tact: repealing Chicago’s Welcoming City ordinance, also known as our sanctuary city ordinance.

They say this will deter Texas Gov. Greg Abbott from continuing to send asylum-seekers to Chicago with one-way bus tickets, but in reality, we’d be playing right into Donald Trump and his fanboys’ racism.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/12/3/23981890/chicago-sanctuary-welcoming-city-ordinance-state-sen-robert-peters-op-ed
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Chicago must remain a sanctuary city because ‘that is who we are’
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 04:35:54 pm »
Who they are.  Liberal lunatics who are fiscally irresponsible. :headbang:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 09:36:26 pm »
"Hello...
Acme Charter Bus Company...?
Send more...!"

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 10:14:29 pm »
Chicago, A press 5 for English city.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 10:17:12 pm »
Chicago, A press 5 for English city.

:silly:   888high58888
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.