Author Topic: Japan suspends Osprey flights after fatal US aircraft crash  (Read 239 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Japan suspends Osprey flights after fatal US aircraft crash
« on: December 02, 2023, 03:37:49 pm »
Japan suspends Osprey flights after fatal US aircraft crash
By Mari Yamaguchi, The Associated Press and Tara Copp, AP
 Nov 30, 02:26 PM

Japan suspended flights by its Osprey aircraft Thursday, officials said, the day after a U.S. Air Force CV-22 Osprey based in Japan crashed into the sea during a training mission.

Tokyo says it has also asked the U.S. military to ground all Ospreys operating in Japan except for those joining the search operations at the crash site. At least one of the eight crew members aboard was killed, but the status of the others is not yet known.

A senior defense ministry official, Taro Yamato, told a parliamentary hearing that Japan has suspended flights of Ospreys until details of the crash and safety are confirmed. The cause of Wednesday’s crash is still unknown.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2023/11/30/japan-suspends-osprey-flights-after-fatal-us-aircraft-crash/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Japan suspends Osprey flights after fatal US aircraft crash
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 06:18:54 pm »
As of November 2023, 16 V-22 Ospreys have been damaged beyond repair in accidents that have killed a total of 62 people. Four crashes killed a total of 30 people during testing from 1991 to 2000. (not counting this incident)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accidents_and_incidents_involving_the_V-22_Osprey#:~:text=As%20of%20November%202023%2C%2016,testing%20from%201991%20to%202000.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Japan suspends Osprey flights after fatal US aircraft crash
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 10:54:53 pm »
Helicopters are inherently unstable, but it looks like this particular model is even moreso...