Author Topic: Pentagon Assesses The PLA Navy’s Modernization And Growing Aggression  (Read 335 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Pentagon Assesses The PLA Navy’s Modernization And Growing Aggression

The Pentagon’s annual assessment of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) – entitled the 2023 Report on Military and Security Developments Involving the People’s Republic of China – was published on 19 October.
Gordon Arthur  27 Oct 2023

This eagerly awaited document was damning in its analysis of the Chinese military’s behaviour:

“Over the last 18 months, the PLA appears to have been engaged in a centralised, concerted campaign to perform these risky behaviours in order to coerce a change in lawful US operational activity, and that of US allies and partners.”

It highlighted an alarming trend of aggression as Beijing wields the PLA as a “capable instrument of statecraft”. The US DoD warned: “Throughout the year, the PLA adopted more coercive actions in the Indo-Pacific region, while accelerating its development of capabilities and concepts to strengthen the PRC’s ability to ‘fight and win wars’ against a ‘strong enemy’, counter an intervention by a third party in a conflict along the PRC’s periphery, and to project power globally.”

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2023/10/pentagon-assesses-the-pla-navys-modernization-and-growing-aggression/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Pentagon Assesses The PLA Navy’s Modernization And Growing Aggression
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 10:35:18 pm »
Nobody in the Military saw this coming?

Seriously?

It has been building for years.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 11:26:22 pm »
Nobody in the Military saw this coming?

Seriously?

It has been building for years.

I remember the DoD, U.S. Navy, and all the smart defense think tank people telling us 15 years ago that we had nothing to fear from the massive Chinese naval construction program.

My old naval history friend Jeff Head (RIP!) documented it all here, beginning in 2005:

https://billstclair.com/www.jeffhead.com/redseadragon/2018.htm

aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 02:29:59 am »
I remember the DoD, U.S. Navy, and all the smart defense think tank people telling us 15 years ago that we had nothing to fear from the massive Chinese naval construction program.

My old naval history friend Jeff Head (RIP!) documented it all here, beginning in 2005:

https://billstclair.com/www.jeffhead.com/redseadragon/2018.htm
Yes, I have one of his books.--The collectors edition of Dragon's Fury.
This is something I have been watching since we had Democrats in the Senate.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis