Author Topic: *** Speaker Election Livewire *** Louisiana Emerges as Center of GOP Universe as Mike Johnson Eyes G  (Read 5088 times)

Offline Hoodat

It was only a week ago that many were predicting this Speaker battle would spell an assured electoral defeat for Republicans at the polls over a year away.  Once again, the Conservatives here were right.  it's amazing how different things look outside the Beltway bubble.

Thank you, Mr. Gaetz, for holding the Establishment accountable and showing that it is OK for Congress to go a spell and not spend money.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
It was only a week ago that many were predicting this Speaker battle would spell an assured electoral defeat for Republicans at the polls over a year away.  Once again, the Conservatives here were right.  it's amazing how different things look outside the Beltway bubble.

Thank you, Mr. Gaetz, for holding the Establishment accountable and showing that it is OK for Congress to go a spell and not spend money.

Alot of Republicans think we need to maintain this kind of Mike Pence image of glossy, slick suit, civility, stability and smoothness. Anything else is Armageddon and the end of the GOP.

Except that's generally not how politics and power work. That's the politics of status quo, and we've seen what that has gotten us.

I agree, though it wasn't particularly pretty, Gaetz upsetting the apple cart got a good result. If you are wanting to make a change, what we just went thru is much closer to reality.
The Republic is lost.

Offline bilo

:amen:

I couldn't agree more with you!

Just as a side note, I think it's great to have an Evangelical Christian as Speaker.

The big battle really kicks in now. It's the appropriation bills. The Pubs have to draw a line in the sand and stick to it. No more C/R's, make the Senate respond to bills that have already been sent over and get the rest done. So what if the govt  shuts down till they do their jobs.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online libertybele

I couldn't agree more with you!

Just as a side note, I think it's great to have an Evangelical Christian as Speaker.

The big battle really kicks in now. It's the appropriation bills. The Pubs have to draw a line in the sand and stick to it. No more C/R's, make the Senate respond to bills that have already been sent over and get the rest done. So what if the govt  shuts down till they do their jobs.

:yowsa:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Wow, holding out and holding the "real conservative" line finally wore down the RINO machine... Both at TBR and Congress.

And some wanted to cave.... I said hold the line (no Conservatives in Name Only)... it feels good to get a win for once. I just hope he is not a Mega dunderhead (24/7 Trump Trump Trump).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 07:48:07 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online libertybele

For what it's worth. I received an e-mail from Gaetz (why I'm not quite sure, other than I'm somehow on everyone's fund raising list) -- at any rate:

CONGRESSMAN MIKE JOHNSON IS OUR NEW SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE

The Swamp lost, And the American People WON!

I know one thing – there’s not a single conservative in America who won’t appreciate the new direction we’re headed under our new leadership.

MIKE JOHNSON is the America-First conservative we DESERVE as Speaker of the House. He is a principled leader who is one of President Trump’s biggest supporters. Mike will support single-subject spending bills (what our fight has been about from the beginning) and is the biggest threat to the Swamp and the lobbyists who have held Congress hostage for too long.

Let’s recap how we got here…

FIRST: Back in January, we delivered a transformative set of House rules that stood up to the lobbyists, drained the Swamp, and changed Congress for the better. They compared the Patriot 20 and me to ‘the Taliban’ when we didn’t go along with “business as usual”…

THEN: They called me an ‘arsonist’ for using those new rules to hold leadership accountable and reject yet another lobbyist-approved Continuing Resolution. I stood by my word, and was threatened with expulsion for doing so.

NOW: Our efforts have just culminated in the Ultimate MAGA Republican taking the gavel…

We took a risk in standing up to the Swamp.

We held the line. We braved their attacks.

And at the end of the day… We delivered another sea change to disrupt “business as usual” and get Congress back to working for the American People.  🇺🇸 KEEP UP THE MOMENTUM! DRAIN THE SWAMP! 🇺🇸

You’re going to see the results straight away in our work. I’m confident that under Speaker Johnson, we will put downward pressure on Washington’s spending and take real steps to DRAIN THE D.C. SWAMP.

And let this serve as yet another reminder – when we come together, our America First Movement is the most powerful political force in our country’s history.

We CAN take on the Washington Uniparty to deliver victories that put our interests first. Together, there is NOTHING we can’t accomplish!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

Wow, holding out and holding the "real conservative" line finally wore down the RINO machine... Both at TBR and Congress.

And some wanted to cave.... I said hold the line (no Conservatives in Name Only)... it feels good to get a win for once. I just hope he is not a Mega dunderhead (24/7 Trump Trump Trump).

I listened to his speech and I came away with some glimmer of hope.  However, note the e-mail I rec'd from Gaetz (up above) -- who is proclaiming that Johnson is a staunch Trump supporter - so we'll see what Johnson does ....  :shrug:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

McCarthy never should have been Speaker.  He's a glad-handing empty suit.

I think the House GOP Caucus figured out that there was no perfect candidate for Speaker.  The unamimous vote for Mike Johnson from the House GOP Caucus was a pleasant surprise, and an auspicious start to his Speakership.

The GOP may be able to salvage the 2024 House elections.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online libertybele

McCarthy never should have been Speaker.  He's a glad-handing empty suit.

I think the House GOP Caucus figured out that there was no perfect candidate for Speaker.  The unamimous vote for Mike Johnson from the House GOP Caucus was a pleasant surprise, and an auspicious start to his Speakership.

The GOP may be able to salvage the 2024 House elections.

Absolutely, the unanimous vote for Johnson was a pleasant surprise, no doubt.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Absolutely, the unanimous vote for Johnson was a pleasant surprise, no doubt.
Perhaps the housecleaning of upper leadership was something long overdue.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Perhaps the housecleaning of upper leadership was something long overdue.

No perhaps about it IMHO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

After @SpeakerJohnson (R-LA) was elected Speaker of the House on Wednesday, the corporate media had the same things to say about him... again, and again, and again.

https://twitter.com/BreitbartNews/status/1717648988038426896

Online Lando Lincoln

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

Extraordinary, even in today’s media.

Confirmation that the media is the propaganda arm of the Democrat Party.  Also shows how bad McCarthy was.  You didn't ever hear Democrats slamming him.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
It was only a week ago that many were predicting this Speaker battle would spell an assured electoral defeat for Republicans at the polls over a year away.  Once again, the Conservatives here were right. 

How can you say "the Conservatives" were right about the election when it hasn't yet happened?

I still think it will cost us seats.   We're going to get hammered on dysfunction, and Johnson's past statements arguing for the actual criminalization of gay sex are going to hurt with a lot of independendents.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
How can you say "the Conservatives" were right about the election when it hasn't yet happened?

I still think it will cost us seats.   We're going to get hammered on dysfunction, and Johnson's past statements arguing for the actual criminalization of gay sex are going to hurt with a lot of independendents.

Not even close, unless the lack of leadership continues from here. People forget in far less than a year that remains till election time.
The Republic is lost.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Not even close, unless the lack of leadership continues from here. People forget in far less than a year that remains till election time.

I suspect the Democrats will run ads to remind them, just as Republicans will run ads to remind people of all the things Biden has screwed up.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

I think you are FOS @Maj. Bill Martin ! I watched the Mike Johnson interview on Hannity last night and believe him to be the breath of fresh air millions have been looking for. IF he does as he says he will Republicans will gain many seats in the House in 2024.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I think you are FOS @Maj. Bill Martin ! I watched the Mike Johnson interview on Hannity last night and believe him to be the breath of fresh air millions have been looking for. IF he does as he says he will Republicans will gain many seats in the House in 2024.

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The guy comes into the job with no baggage that I can see.

Of course the rats have label him an "extremist". An election denier. A big bad MAGA supporter... you know a guy who ticks off all the "ists"... misogynist, Racist, transphobist, insurrectionist, antiabortionist....

So he gets an early pass from me.   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline corbe

Hopefully the pervert agenda will be at least slowed down.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline bilo

The House just passed the Energy appropriations bill. They are getting work done.

If the House ends up passing all 12 appropriation bills and the Senate doesn't respond who is responsible for a shut down? If we want real change this is the path. The House has to stand firm once all the bills are passed and force the Senate to actually do their job. All the House Pubs have to do to win is to keep saying, "no more backroom deals!"

Offline bilo

Hopefully the pervert agenda will be at least slowed down.

I think Speaker Johnson is symbolic of a slow turn back to a more rational society.

Offline Hoodat

I suspect the Democrats will run ads to remind them, just as Republicans will run ads to remind people of all the things Biden has screwed up.

Except that the Republicans didn't screw anything up.