Author Topic: *** Speaker Election Livewire *** Louisiana Emerges as Center of GOP Universe as Mike Johnson Eyes G  (Read 5095 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I personally don't think he's going to make much of a difference in terms of spending or to Ukraine/Israel.  I think there are other factors that are going to determine what happens there.

The one thing I would like to see is if he could do what Chip Roy's bill did and somehow incorporate improved border security into whatever spending bill does get signed.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 08:49:18 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

...and these are bad things...who/what in the hell is gopforukraine.com.....geeeze!

https://gopforukraine.com/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Congrats to @RepMikeJohnson on becoming the next Speaker of the House.

It's great to finally have a Speaker that isn't afraid to tell the truth about transgender surgeries.

https://twitter.com/realmichaelseif/status/1717278240014737609

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline libertybele

https://twitter.com/leslibless/status/1717016503889908061

Good.  Ukraine aid should have ended a very long time ago.  We'll see what happens --

More than anything we need funding for border security. Not just an increase in patrol -- but we need a good solid wall built, ASAP, manned and armed with border patrol personnel and drones.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hakeem Jeffries: Speaker Johnson Is an ‘Extreme Right-Wing Ideologue’

House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY) said Wednesday on CNN’s “This Morning” that newly elected House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) is an “extreme right-wing ideologue.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/10/25/hakeem-jeffries-speaker-johnson-is-an-extreme-right-wing-ideologue/
Support the USO

Offline corbe

Hakeem, AOC and Trumpers don't like him, what's NOT to like about him?    :pop41:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Speaker Johnson's address to Congress and swearing in ----

https://youtu.be/Pm7I9qGzJFY?si=194PxBdCuhUa9xge

Offline corbe

Am I correct that Trump did NOT give him (Mike Johnson) an endorsement like he did McConnell, McDaniel, McCarthy and Jordan?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
   Am I correct that Trump did NOT give him (Mike Johnson) an endorsement like he did McConnell, McDaniel, McCarthy and Jordan?

Donald Trump Speaks Highly of Mike Johnson in Race for Speaker’s Gavel

Hannah Bleau25 Oct 2023143
3:10

Former President Donald Trump on Wednesday spoke highly of all remaining Republican candidates for Speaker but said he strongly suggests that the GOP goes with “the leading candidate, Mike Johnson, & GET IT DONE, FAST!”

Trump congratulated Republicans on Wednesday for the progress they made the day prior in narrowing down their choices for House Speaker weeks after Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) succeeded in his effort to oust now former Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA).

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/10/25/donald-trump-speaks-highly-mike-johnson-race-speakers-gavel/
Support the USO

Offline corbe

Good to know @mystery-ak

That obviously leaves me with $hit to stir elsewhere.    22222frying pan

Donald Trump Speaks Highly of Mike Johnson in Race for Speaker’s Gavel
Hannah Bleau25 Oct 2023

Former President Donald Trump on Wednesday spoke highly of all remaining Republican candidates for Speaker but said he strongly suggests that the GOP goes with “the leading candidate, Mike Johnson, & GET IT DONE, FAST!”

Trump congratulated Republicans on Wednesday for the progress they made the day prior in narrowing down their choices for House Speaker weeks after Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) succeeded in his effort to oust now former Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA).

Offline libertybele

Speaker Johnson's address to Congress and swearing in ----

https://youtu.be/Pm7I9qGzJFY?si=194PxBdCuhUa9xge

Wow!  What a truly refreshing speech; I think it is obvious that it came from his heart.  I am not familiar with him till now, but that was quite a speech and I thought a couple of times, too bad he isn't our president.

Prayers up for the new Speaker of the House Mike Johnson and our Republic!!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY) said Wednesday on CNN’s “This Morning” that newly elected House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) is an “extreme right-wing ideologue.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/10/25/hakeem-jeffries-speaker-johnson-is-an-extreme-right-wing-ideologue/
Yet with all the discord in the GOP Jeffries couldn't manage to find one measly vote among the moderate dissenters. Let alone the five needed to become Speaker. Twenty GOP dissenters, and he couldn't net five.

Jeffries had a golden opportunity to show himself a skilled leader and bipartisan negotiator. But he was beneath dealing with the Republicans and giving the concessions to them—many of them personal—that would have allowed him the gavel.

For all the talk of Democratic unity, he still didn't have the votes, either.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Now I hope Speaker Johnson takes a good, hard look at the party's leadership structure and demotes the vast majority of leadership that showed itself unable to win the speaker vote. That's how you avoid another McCarthy situation.

(That's called the Bragman Rule. In the 1990s, in the New York legislature, an assemblyman named Michael Bragman challenged the incumbent Sheldon Silver—who, I'll note, was later arrested and convicted of corruption—for the Speaker position and lost. Bragman was stripped of his committees and relegated to the backbench.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline bilo

Yet with all the discord in the GOP Jeffries couldn't manage to find one measly vote among the moderate dissenters. Let alone the five needed to become Speaker. Twenty GOP dissenters, and he couldn't net five.

Jeffries had a golden opportunity to show himself a skilled leader and bipartisan negotiator. But he was beneath dealing with the Republicans and giving the concessions to them—many of them personal—that would have allowed him the gavel.

If he had the skill level to do that he would not have only determined who the Speaker was, but would have destroyed the Pub party n the process.

It is a good point, the Establishment Loyalists in the Pub party at least had the good sense to know it's better to be a minority in a majority party than it is a tool of a party that hates you and will end your career at the first chance.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Astute points.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Hoodat

There's some good news.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

It is a good point, the Establishment Loyalists in the Pub party at least had the good sense to know it's better to be a minority in a majority party than it is a tool of a party that hates you and will end your career at the first chance.

Yup - not a single Republican member of the Problem Solvers Caucus (which has 20 D's and 21 R's) defected.

That's also a great example of why having a RINO is better than having a Democrat.  Especially in districts where RINO's are the only kind of Republicans who have a chance.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 12:56:48 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline andy58-in-nh

Wow!  What a truly refreshing speech; I think it is obvious that it came from his heart.  I am not familiar with him till now, but that was quite a speech and I thought a couple of times, too bad he isn't our president.

Prayers up for the new Speaker of the House Mike Johnson and our Republic!!
@libertybele

I was also impressed. The man spoke in terms that are rarely heard today; his words were those not of a politician, but of a Statesman.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't agree with some of his MAGA views, but, holding the Office of Speaker may require him to grow into the role as his constinuency is now national.

I like what he said and how he said it.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Lando Lincoln

@libertybele

I was also impressed. The man spoke in terms that are rarely heard today; his words were those not of a politician, but of a Statesman.

Likewise. We may have just witnessed an extraordinary man rising up from the gloom. I pray so.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't agree with some of his MAGA views, but, holding the Office of Speaker may require him to grow into the role as his constinuency is now national.

I like what he said and how he said it.

I rarely listen to speeches and don't listen to his, but as you said, he gets the benefit of the doubt.    I'm not a MAGA guy either, but what matters is what he actually does in office.

The big question to me is whether he's the kind of guy who will try to force his own views through, or whether he believes in fair treatment of different views. 

Offline libertybele

@libertybele

Indeed. Hopefully, more people will take the time to listen to his speech.