Author Topic: *** Speaker Election Livewire *** Louisiana Emerges as Center of GOP Universe as Mike Johnson Eyes G  (Read 5090 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
*** Speaker Election Livewire *** Louisiana Emerges as Center of GOP Universe as Mike Johnson Eyes Gavel

Matthew Boyle 25 Oct 2023 Washington, DC

Rep. Mike Johnson (R-LA), a fourth-term conservative who is currently the vice chairman of the House GOP conference, has the Speaker’s gavel within reach and seems to be on the brink of ascending into the presidential line of succession on Wednesday afternoon.

When the House gavels in at noon, it is certainly possible that Johnson–a former conservative talk radio host and columnist who has been active in the religious liberty world of the American right–emerges as the 56th Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives.

Johnson on Tuesday evening became the House Republicans’ Speaker-designate, after a multi-ballot vote that came immediately after House Majority Whip Tom Emmer’s candidacy fizzled slightly more than four hours after he won the same position. But something interesting happened for Johnson after he won the internal election following several rounds of voting: On a roll call vote in conference behind closed doors, not a single member voted against him–and only a handful voted present. One of those present votes in conference, Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY), now says he will back Johnson on the floor on Wednesday. But there were close to 20 absences, many of whom are expected to back Johnson on the floor, so it is as of yet uncertain.

For Johnson to win the Speakership, assuming all members of both parties are present and vote for a person, he would need 217 votes since there are two vacancies in the House right now. There are 221 voting Republicans, which means Johnson could only afford to lose four members. Since there are 212 voting Democrats, if Republicans have any present votes Johnson would need to put up at least 213 votes and depending on the vote math not have anyone voting against him, or very few.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/10/25/speaker-election-livewire-louisiana-emerges-center-gop-universe-as-mike-johnson-eyes-gavel/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline bilo

If the Establishment Loyalists don't create more problems this might be a done deal.

If so, the real work begins getting the rest of the appropriation bills passed and sent to the Senate.

No more C?R's, or omnibus bills!
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Looks like we will have a new Speaker.... :crossed:
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
159...need 215

no dissents
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online cato potatoe

All is well, until Gaetz has his next period.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
almost there 206
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
It's finally over...Speaker Johnson
Support the USO

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bilo

All is well, until Gaetz has his next period.

I for one will be thanking Gaetz, if the House ends the C/R, or omnibus, budget process and actually forces the Senate to accept, or respond to, the passed appropriation bills.

FWI, the Treasury says this years deficit is 1.7 TRILLION.

BTW, I will also be thanking Gaetz for getting us a Speaker who can put 2 sentences together.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
No more C?R's, or omnibus bills!

No chance of that. None.  Changing the drapes doesn't change the house.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Let's get the legislation, debate, and voting to the House floor asap.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rep. Mike Johnson Wins Speaker’s Gavel with Unanimous Republican Support

Rep. Mike Johnson is the 56th Speaker of the House, ending a long Republican nightmare as several more potentially loom.

Bradley Jaye25 Oct 20231
2:38

Rep. Mike Johnson is the 56th Speaker of the House, ending a long Republican nightmare as several more potentially loom ahead.

Johnson won the gavel by a vote of 220-209.

Republicans had fought for over three weeks without a Speaker as spending deadlines drew closer and the international scene deteriorated, but Wednesday, Republicans were all smiles.

Republicans in attendance unanimously supported Johnson, an achievement unfathomable only hours before.

Rep. Derrick Van Orden (R-MO) remains in Israel on a “fact-finding mission.” Four Democrats were absent from the vote.

Johnson received overwhelming sustained applause from his Republican colleagues upon being nominated. The humble Johnson, clearly more accustomed to hurling sharp attacks on Judiciary Committee witnesses than receiving such levels of adoration from so many colleagues, meekly smiled and waved in his seat.

Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY), the chair of the House Republican Conference, gave a rousing nominating speech featuring multiple moments of raucous applause from Republicans — as well as boos from Democrats.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/10/25/rep-mike-johnson-wins-speakers-gavel-with-unanimous-republican-support/
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Advise for Speaker Johnson...don't piss off Gaetz...

https://twitter.com/DC_Draino/status/1717236525124276575
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online Maj. Bill Martin

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1717241418719121793

Well crap. 

He seems like a 100% Trumper, so that's mostly disappointing for me. But they had to elect someone and it might as well have been him.  Time to actually start voting on things, which is the only action that really ends up mattering in the end.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 06:32:26 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline bilo

Advise for Speaker Johnson...don't piss off Gaetz...

https://twitter.com/DC_Draino/status/1717236525124276575

Gaetz has done the unthinkable. He not only got rid of the Establishment Loyalist McCarthy, but ended up replacing him with a real conservative. It just shows what can happen when a handful of men and a woman demand people do what they agreed to do.

Offline bilo

Well crap. 

He seems like a 100% Trumper, so that's mostly disappointing for me. But they had to elect someone and it might as well have been him.  Time to actually start voting on things, which is the only action that really ends up mattering in the end.

It's about time the leadership of the party actually reflects the base of the party. An America First MAGA conservative might actually mean the House starts fighting the Rats instead of doing their will.

The first big test will be the appropriation bills. If the House passes the remaining bills and stands firm they can actually begin the process of real change.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Mike Johnson sounds 1,000 times better than Kevin McCarthy.

I might actually have to thank Matt Gaetz.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

It's about time the leadership of the party actually reflects the base of the party. An America First MAGA conservative might actually mean the House starts fighting the Rats instead of doing their will.

The first big test will be the appropriation bills. If the House passes the remaining bills and stands firm they can actually begin the process of real change.

There is no majority in the House for an extended shutdown, particularly one of the length that would be necessary for 12 appropriations bills to be considered by the Senate, which hasn't even started to look at in committee the four appropriations bills that already have been passed.  Who the Speaker is will not change that.

That was true before the chaos surrounding the Speaker, and is likely to be even more true now. The amount of heat moderate Republicans would take from their non-conservative constituents when the Democrats start blasting them for wasting 3 weeks and then shutting down the government, will not be something they are willing to endure.

But that's just my opinion. It's obviously up to you if you want to pin your hopes on that.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 06:54:18 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I for one will be thanking Gaetz, if the House ends the C/R, or omnibus, budget process and actually forces the Senate to accept, or respond to, the passed appropriation bills.

FWI, the Treasury says this years deficit is 1.7 TRILLION.

BTW, I will also be thanking Gaetz for getting us a Speaker who can put 2 sentences together.

:yowsa:  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline corbe

THE LIBERTY DAILY   The Conservative Alternative to the Drudge Report

What Do We Expect From New Speaker of the House Mike Johnson?

By J.D. Rucker • Oct. 25, 2023

The three week ordeal in the House of Representatives is finally over. Speaker of the House Mike Johnson, backed by President Trump, was the unanimous choice of the Republican House. This vote was a far cry from the past 20+ votes dating back to January when former Speaker Kevin McCarthy failed to unify his conference.

The good news is Speaker Johnson is by far the least “Swampy” Speaker of the House in decades. The bad news is the standstill in the House will end and government will pick up where it left off. Having Capitol Hill on hold for a few weeks was nice.

Johnson will have no time to ease into the job. He has a little over three weeks to either make a deal with Democrats or let the government shut down. And while he has been a conservative on most issues, he has been a bit weak on government funding. We’ll see how this pans out by November 17 when the McCarthy-Schumer continuing resolution runs out.

<..snip..>

https://thelibertydaily.com/what-do-we-expect-new-speaker-house-mike/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.