Author Topic: GOP Speaker race (October '23): Live coverage  (Read 5329 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Scalise edges Jordan for GOP nomination for Speaker: Live coverage
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2023, 12:08:28 am »
Jack Poso
@JackPosobiec

BREAKING: Steve Scalise has dropped out of the Speaker race, per Fox News

This is a massive shakeup for the House GOP

Emmer is in the wings trying to throw his name is

Trump has endorsed Jim Jordan

8:03 PM · Oct 12, 2023
·

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2023, 12:38:31 pm »
My money is still on McHenry because I have complete faith in the GOP inability to agree on anyone else.  Not that I think they'll actually "agree" on McHenry.  They'll just agree to give the Speaker pro tempore enough authority to enable the House to pass legislation.  He'll end up as the de facto Speaker.

Of course, I could also be wildly wrong.

Major Martin is a prophet!

Moderate House Republicans Plot To Empower McHenry Amid Stalled Speaker Search

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/moderate-house-republicans-plot-to-empower-mchenry-amid-stalled-speaker-search/ar-AA1i7Jqe

As House Republicans remain divided over their next leader, a group of moderates is plotting to empower temporary Speaker Patrick McHenry to make the chamber function again.

The center-right Republican Governance Group has gathered signatures on a petition to suggest giving McHenry, R-N.C., the authority to lead the House in legislative business, according to Rep. Maria Salazar, R-Fla.

The House floor has been paralyzed since last Tuesday, when eight Republicans voted with Democrats to oust former Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif. The chamber has been unable to move legislation since.

The legislative inaction comes despite a looming mid-November deadline to keep the government running and a crisis in the Middle East.

House Republicans tapped Majority Leader Steve Scalise, R-La., to be their nominee for speaker over Judiciary Committee Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, this week. But Scalise remains well shy of the 217 votes he needs on the floor to become speaker. It’s unclear whether Scalise — or anyone else, for that matter — can clinch that number in their fractured conference.

A three-hour meeting earlier Thursday did virtually nothing to move the needle, nor did a separate huddle with Scalise and representatives from five different factions of the House Republican Conference.

EXCERPT
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2023, 12:49:25 pm »
Driving?

Get her a tablet... This MS Surface got me through my last stay... and my wee 8" Droid tablet through the one before... still way better than squinting at a cell phone. Jussayin.

Amazon Fire tablets are great for basic web surfing and stuff, and you can get one for a bit over $100.   If you can weight, doing it on Black Monday will save a bunch of money

Online roamer_1

« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2023, 03:10:07 pm »
Amazon Fire tablets are great for basic web surfing and stuff, and you can get one for a bit over $100.   If you can weight, doing it on Black Monday will save a bunch of money

I've been REALLY happy with this MS Surface. It's technically a convertible, but really just a fat tablet with a soft KB added on. As a tablet it's a little big, and a bit awkward in that... But I can see it! And give me a decent flat spot to put it into laptop mode, and I can comfortably do anything I can do with my real laptop. It's been excellent.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2023, 03:25:40 pm »
I've been REALLY happy with this MS Surface. It's technically a convertible, but really just a fat tablet with a soft KB added on. As a tablet it's a little big, and a bit awkward in that... But I can see it! And give me a decent flat spot to put it into laptop mode, and I can comfortably do anything I can do with my real laptop. It's been excellent.

Don't get me wrong - they're fantastic.  They're just not cheap.

I have an LG slim 2-in-1, which is a 16 inch laptop that can also be an - obviously oversized - tablet.  I use it for courtroom stuff.    But not as nice for travelling as a Surface.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2023, 03:33:47 pm »
House GOP launch serious talks about rule upheaval after Scalise's stunning exit from speaker race
Four amendments offered are aimed at averting repeat of this week's speaker drama
By Elizabeth Elkind Fox News
Published October 13, 2023 9:25am EDT

House Republicans are once again meeting behind closed doors on Friday morning after Majority Leader Steve Scalise’s stunning exit from the speakership race on Thursday night.

GOP lawmakers are meeting at 10 a.m. and will have to check cellphones at the door, according to an invitation obtained by Fox News Digital.

They will consider four amendments to the House Republican Conference Rules that would raise the threshold needed to select a candidate for speaker before that person is nominated on the House floor.

Three of them would mandate that a speaker-elect has the support of a House-wide majority before getting a floor vote. That is almost guaranteed to lead to hourslong debates behind closed doors — a lawmaker can only lose four GOP backers to still win without Democratic votes.

Amendments offered by Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas, and Rep. Bill Huizenga, R-Mich., would mandate a Q&A session between the candidate and the conference if the person failed to get 217 votes on the first round of a secret ballot vote.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-gop-launch-serious-talks-rule-upheaval-scalises-stunning-exit-from-speaker-race
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2023, 03:44:46 pm »
What's funny about this is that Chip Roy has said he'll oppose any nominee who doesn't support the tallying of votes behind closed doors, but Gaetz and MTG insist that everyone go on the the record in front of the full House.

The issue isn't who is right and who is wrong.  It's this idea of small minorities holding up House business because they don't get their way, and the inevitably dysfunctional internal gridlock that will occur when different groups stake out different inflexible positions.

Democrats are going to feast on this next November.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2023, 06:29:01 pm »
Juanita Broaddrick
@atensnut
·
Follow
If Liz Cheney is so upset about Jim Jordan for Speaker…. then he is definitely the right choice.

Word.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2023, 07:56:47 pm »
Lauren Boebert
@laurenboebert
·
54m
Republicans from every wing of the party are now uniting around Jim Jordan for Speaker.

Let’s get on with this vote and start to get on with the incredible amount of work we have to get done!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2023, 07:59:01 pm »
House Republicans Hold Speaker Candidate Forum, Jordan Looks to Lock Up Nomination

House Republicans reassembled Friday at 1:00 pm Eastern for another candidate forum as frontrunner Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) works to lock up the nomination.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/10/13/house-republicans-hold-speaker-candidate-forum-jordan-looks-lock-nomination/
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2023, 08:15:36 pm »
Greg Price
@greg_price11
·
5m
BREAKING: The House Republican conference has voted to nominate @Jim_Jordan
 Speaker of the House on a vote of 124-81.

It's completely ridiculous how many Republicans voted against him. These votes should not be kept secret.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2023, 08:15:43 pm »
Just let Jeffries have it...Repubs don't know how to lead and this fiasco is embarrassing...
Support the USO

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2023, 08:21:18 pm »
I can't fathom the hubris of jackanapes like the idiots who rejected Scalise, for thinking that now that they've gotten Scalise out of the way, everyone will just naturally "unite" around their favored candidate.

It doesn't work that way, and Jordan will find that he doesn't have the votes to get the Speakership, unless he cuts a deal with the democrats, and that deal is going to be very costly.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2023, 09:07:18 pm »
Greg Price
@greg_price11
·
5m
BREAKING: The House Republican conference has voted to nominate @Jim_Jordan
 Speaker of the House on a vote of 124-81.

It's completely ridiculous how many Republicans voted against him. These votes should not be kept secret.

I expect the fact that Trump thought he had to throw his $.02 in there and endorse Jordan probably cost him some votes he might otherwise have recieved. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online libertybele

« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2023, 09:10:07 pm »
Ooops  .... posted in the wrong thread -- please merge and thank you.

https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,515090.msg2920749/topicseen.html#msg2920749
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2023, 09:13:00 pm »
House GOP picks Jim Jordan as speaker nominee amid leadership crisis

House Republicans have picked Rep. Jim Jordan as their new speaker nominee, though it is unclear if the Ohio Republican can win enough support to secure the gavel in a full House vote as the conference faces a leadership crisis.

But Jordan is facing stiff resistance to be elected speaker on the floor from more than 50 Republicans, meaning he’s got an even tougher math problem than the one that doomed the bid of Majority Leader Steve Scalise, who initially won the GOP speaker nomination but dropped out of the race abruptly Thursday evening after facing a hardened bloc of opposition.

On Friday, Jordan won the speaker nomination against GOP Rep. Austin Scott of Georgia – who made a surprise last-minute bid – in a 124-81 vote.

Jordan then called a second vote asking members if they would support him on the floor, in an effort to see if that shrinks his opposition. That vote, which was cast by secret ballot was 152-55. Jordan or any other Republican speaker candidate can only afford to lose four GOP votes when the full House votes for speaker if all members are voting..............

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/13/politics/house-republicans-speaker-fight/index.html

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2023, 09:17:52 pm »
I can't wait to see what sort of stupid deal he cuts with the democrats just so he can get himself elected Speaker.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2023, 10:12:40 pm »
House adjourns in disarray as support for Jordan looks weaker than expected

House adjourns in disarray as support for Jordan looks weaker than expected
Republicans expect to meet Monday and hold a House-wide vote soon after
By Elizabeth Elkind Fox News
Published October 13, 2023 5:00pm EDT

House Republicans are adjourning for the weekend after their designated candidate for speaker, Judiciary Chairman Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, appears to be well short of the support needed for a chamber-wide vote to give him the gavel.

GOP leaders are looking at potentially scheduling another member-wide conference on Monday and a full House vote sometime after that, two sources told Fox News Digital. But those sources stressed that plans are still very much tentative.

It's the second time GOP lawmakers have gathered to pick a speaker-designate in three days. Majority Leader Steve Scalise, R-La., won an internal vote on Wednesday but stepped back from the race on Thursday night after it became clear he did not have enough support for a House floor vote.

Jordan won 124 votes against his rival in the race, Rep. Austin Scott, R-Ga., who won 81.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-adjourns-disarray-support-jordan-looks-weaker-than-expected
Support the USO

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2023, 10:14:23 pm »
I don't think Jordan will cut a deal with Dems, and I don't think they'd cut a deal with him.

Assuming the full House vote on Jordan fails -- if it even happens at all -- it will be time for House conservatives to reassess.   The attempt to force the majority of the House who aren't FC to support a FC Speaker will have failed, and they will be out of leverage at that point.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 10:21:06 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2023, 10:58:54 pm »
Joey Mannarino
@JoeyMannarinoUS
·
2m
The House should not have been allowed to go home for the weekend.

They should be working through the weekend to find a Speaker.

Matter of fact, they should work through the night.

Only silver lining here is Ukraine still won’t be getting more money! Zelenskyy sad.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online libertybele

« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2023, 11:02:41 pm »
Joey Mannarino
@JoeyMannarinoUS
·
2m

Only silver lining here is Ukraine still won’t be getting more money! Zelenskyy sad.

Agreed

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2023, 11:25:48 pm »
Joey Mannarino
@JoeyMannarinoUS
·
2m

Truth is that they probably are, just not in the same place. Almost certainly a lot of phone calls and group discussions going on with people figuring out their next move.

Individual members need to start getting realistic, and maybe acknowledge that they're not going to get who/what they want.  Or we really could end up with Speaker Jeffries.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 11:27:49 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO