Author Topic: GOP Speaker race (October '23): Live coverage  (Read 5331 times)

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Scalise edges Jordan for GOP nomination for Speaker: Live coverage
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2023, 01:02:03 am »
Good God, just select Scalise and move on.  Even Jordon after coming in second said so.  But the usual MAGA suspects are standing in the way stating nobody but Jordan.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2023, 01:14:10 am »
Hey....it's ok -- It'll all work out @Cyber Liberty

I found it, but then it was too late to take the trip to Vegas. Going tomorrow morning.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2023, 01:23:43 am »
It'd be by roll call.

Anyway, if you literally go through every member of Congress, and none can get a majority, that would necessarily include anyone who you might consider a compromise/coalition candidate.

It would mean we couldn't elect anyone.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2023, 01:27:14 am »
It'd be by roll call.

Anyway, if you literally go through every member of Congress, and none can get a majority, that would necessarily include anyone who you might consider a compromise/coalition candidate.

It would mean we couldn't elect anyone.
I'm talking more about behind the scenes, before it goes to the floor. Like what happened today.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Hoodat

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2023, 05:37:50 am »
Why should the majorities that preferred McCarthy, and now Scalise, give in to the minority that preferred Jordan?  To reward those who threw their tantrum, and let the tail wag the dog yet again?

Maybe they will have an epiphany and realize that backing the GOP Establishment is destroying this country.  Scalise is a rubber stamp for McCarthy who was a rubber stamp for Ryan who was a rubber stamp for Boehner.  It is time to try something different for once.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2023, 06:51:36 am »
I found it, but then it was too late to take the trip to Vegas. Going tomorrow morning.

Mo'bedda... A two hour drive is better with coffee and fresh doughnuts...  :beer:

Hope it all works out alright.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2023, 01:23:49 pm »
Maybe they will have an epiphany and realize that backing the GOP Establishment is destroying this country.  Scalise is a rubber stamp for McCarthy who was a rubber stamp for Ryan who was a rubber stamp for Boehner.  It is time to try something different for once.

And maybe Putin will have an epiphany and withdraw from Ukraine, apologize for the invasion, order that reparations be paid by Russia, then kill himself.

Or we can deal with things as they actually are rather than as we wish they were.

People who have been moderates in Congress for decades, and who were willing to support McCarthy through 15 ballots and then overwhelmingly on the Motion to Vacate aren't going to suddenly reverse course.  They are who they are, which is people who generally like things to keep running.  They're not radicals.  If we had a GOP Senate and President, and the overall course of the country were different, then sure, you'd peel more of them away.  But even then, you'd still have some moderates who wouldn't budge, and we don't have enough of a margin to overcome that.

Said it since this began - this will end up actually hurting the conservative cause more than helping it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 03:47:48 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2023, 04:35:55 pm »
Seen elsewhere that Scalise's allies are saying the story he might drop out is a plant by his opponents, and 100% false.  But who the hell knows.

One problem with all this is that the longer it goes on, the more grudges and anger are likely to build, which will make it even harder to elect someone.   And the rule can't be "you have to drop out if there is opposition", because otherwise everyone who supports a certain candidate has an incentive to be "opposed" to every alternative to derail their candidacy.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2023, 04:43:25 pm »
More proof that the repubs could  F up a wet dream.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2023, 04:43:39 pm »
And the shitshow rolls on.

:rolleyes:

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2023, 04:57:43 pm »
GOP doing an excellent job of demonstrating to voters that it cannot operate competently.  Literally the only ones who benefit from this are Democrats, and perhaps any individual Republican members who believe this will help them outside of Congress.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 05:44:52 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2023, 05:18:51 pm »
https://twitter.com/kylenabecker/status/1712502624526745653/history

And I'd expect that to be countered with a bunch of stuff about the wrestler/sex abuse scandal at Ohio State.  For those unfamiliar....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/jim-jordans-past-comes-back-to-haunt-him-as-ohio-state-wrestlers-speak-out/ar-AA1i2cfo

So my guess is that the GOP will just keep eating its own....

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2023, 07:11:26 pm »
Chad Pergram
@ChadPergram

Scalise to have meeting with noes. His office will meet with the various “families” inside the conference. Scalise did not signal there was any vote scheduled nor did he respond to questions about if he was caught flatfooted by the resistance to him

3:01 PM · Oct 12, 2023
·

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2023, 07:18:03 pm »
Chuck Callesto
@ChuckCallesto
·
11m
·
JUST IN: Closed door meeting leak reveals JIM JORDAN as the only member who can purportedly receive the 217 FLOOR VOTES required to become Speaker of the House.
Support the USO

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2023, 07:33:32 pm »
Chuck Callesto
@ChuckCallesto
·
11m
·
JUST IN: Closed door meeting leak reveals JIM JORDAN as the only member who can purportedly receive the 217 FLOOR VOTES required to become Speaker of the House.

I'll believe that when I see it.  These clowns are really ticking me off with their incompetence and disorganization.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2023, 07:42:56 pm »
My money is still on McHenry because I have complete faith in the GOP inability to agree on anyone else.  Not that I think they'll actually "agree" on McHenry.  They'll just agree to give the Speaker pro tempore enough authority to enable the House to pass legislation.  He'll end up as the de facto Speaker.

Of course, I could also be wildly wrong.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 07:47:16 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2023, 07:50:14 pm »
My money is still on McHenry because I have complete faith in the GOP inability to agree on anyone else.  Not that I think they'll actually "agree" on McHenry.  They'll just agree to give the Speaker pro tempore enough authority to enable the House to pass legislation.  He'll end up as the de facto Speaker.

Of course, I could also be wildly wrong.

Sounds about right.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2023, 11:41:28 pm »
Kyle Becker
@kylenabecker
Speaker Sabotage? Jordan Reportedly Undercut Scalise's Bid by Showing America What's at Steak

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2023, 11:44:20 pm »
GOP doing an excellent job of demonstrating to voters that it cannot operate competently.

This is exactly what our Founding Fathers intended.  If they wanted efficiency, then they would have made Washington emperor.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2023, 12:01:33 am »
Scalise withdraws his name per Fox News

07:59 PMOctober 12, 2023
-
Scalise withdraws

House Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) dropped out of the race for Speaker Thursday, just one day after he won the Republican nomination for the role.

Scalise narrowly prevailed in a secret ballot internal GOP election Wednesday, but it was clear almost immediately that he would struggle to get the 217 votes needed on the House floor.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4251783-house-speaker-steve-scalise-votes-live-coverage/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 12:07:32 am by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2023, 12:07:11 am »
This is exactly what our Founding Fathers intended.  If they wanted efficiency, then they would have made Washington emperor.

I don't think they intended that the House of Representatives would be literally unable to vote on bills.

I generally support gridlock as much h as the next conservative.   But gridlock within your own caucus is something else entirely....