Author Topic: GOP Speaker race (October '23): Live coverage  (Read 5332 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: Scalise edges Jordan for GOP nomination for Speaker: Live coverage
« Reply #150 on: October 15, 2023, 05:18:48 pm »
So you'd prefer a democrat then. 

I'd prefer a notable difference between Republicans and Democrats... A different course from the SNAFU'd normalcy of capitulation and collusion...

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2023, 05:20:01 pm »
That is not guaranteed, and if it happens I put it squarely on McCarthy. He could have held things together, he chose not to because he thought he could not lose.

Nope.  If it happens, that goes squarely to Gaetz and his merry band of spoilt children.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2023, 05:21:03 pm »
Hypocrites on what point?

That they expect conservatives to do what they're told, but refuse to do what they're told when it's time to buck up and get in line.

Scalise and Jordan are the choices moderates, pick one, get in line, do what you're told.
The Republic is lost.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2023, 05:21:40 pm »
Nope.  If it happens, that goes squarely to Gaetz and his merry band of spoilt children.

Sorry, McCarthy was in charge, the buck stops with him.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2023, 05:23:37 pm »
That they expect conservatives to do what they're told, but refuse to do what they're told when it's time to buck up and get in line.

Scalise and Jordan are the choices moderates, pick one, get in line, do what you're told.

Why should they do what a tiny minority demands they do, particularly when that tiny minority refused to look to the greater good.

Face facts, however much you may be in sympathy with the conservatives in Congress, they are the minority, which means they don't get to demand things get done their way, and they are proving themselves singularly incapable of that one great skill that every successful minority has to have:  the ability to persuade.

Throwing childish fits and screaming "give me what I want or I'm taking my ball home" is not how leaders act; it's how spoilt little children act, and right now, Gaetz and Co. are nothing more than spoilt little children.  Adults have no obligation to go along with the temper tantrums of spoilt little children.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2023, 05:27:54 pm »
Why should they do what a tiny minority demands they do, particularly when that tiny minority refused to look to the greater good.

Face facts, however much you may be in sympathy with the conservatives in Congress, they are the minority, which means they don't get to demand things get done their way, and they are proving themselves singularly incapable of that one great skill that every successful minority has to have:  the ability to persuade.

Throwing childish fits and screaming "give me what I want or I'm taking my ball home" is not how leaders act; it's how spoilt little children act, and right now, Gaetz and Co. are nothing more than spoilt little children.  Adults have no obligation to go along with the temper tantrums of spoilt little children.

Conservatives are in the minority in congress because the establishment stacks the deck to make sure conservatives don't get elected! No other reason!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2023, 05:28:13 pm »

Because the Establishment demanded it for all these years, especially with their John McCain 'Gang of X' antics.

Nothing is being done back to them that they haven't done for decades, including McCarthy. They just think they're entitled to do it and conservatives are not, and just don't like staring into the mirror at their  own hypocrisy.
The Republic is lost.

Online libertybele

« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2023, 05:30:42 pm »
We've been "following the majority" for a LONG time now and it's done nothing but get worse and worse for conservatives. To hell with following the majority!

Amen!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2023, 05:55:03 pm »
When has there been a conservative Speaker since Gingrich?

That's not an answer to the question.  But fine, we'll do it this way.

My answer would be yes - Paul Ryan.  At least on fiscal issues.  Other than him, there hasn't been a conservative Speaker since Gingrich.  But the question is why.

Was there a conservative candidate for Speaker who had majority support, but who the moderates refused to support. And if so, who/when was that?

Or is it just that voters didn't elect enough conservative representatives, so that no conservative could get majority support for Speaker?  Because if the reason is just that the conservatives couldn't get a majority, then a non-conservative Speaker is tyranny of the majority, not the minority.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2023, 06:08:10 pm »

The only thing McCarthy was asked to do was to keep his word.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #160 on: October 15, 2023, 06:27:05 pm »

The issue is/was voting against him 14 times until he made promises that gave preferential treatment to a handful of holdouts.   It was either accede to that, or have the House without a Speaker.

In any case, I suspect some of those who supported McCarthy are going to give the Jordan the same treatment Gaetz gave McCarthy in January.  Or just refuse to vote for him at all.

They've got the leverage.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 06:28:55 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #161 on: October 15, 2023, 06:29:35 pm »
Because the Establishment demanded it for all these years, especially with their John McCain 'Gang of X' antics.

Nothing is being done back to them that they haven't done for decades, including McCarthy. They just think they're entitled to do it and conservatives are not, and just don't like staring into the mirror at their  own hypocrisy.

Spoilt little children who, not having the wherewithal to persuade, stamp their little feet and demand what they cannot have.

What a shame. 

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #162 on: October 15, 2023, 07:10:37 pm »
That's not an answer to the question.  But fine, we'll do it this way.

My answer would be yes - Paul Ryan.  At least on fiscal issues.  Other than him, there hasn't been a conservative Speaker since Gingrich.  But the question is why.

Was there a conservative candidate for Speaker who had majority support, but who the moderates refused to support. And if so, who/when was that?

Or is it just that voters didn't elect enough conservative representatives, so that no conservative could get majority support for Speaker?  Because if the reason is just that the conservatives couldn't get a majority, then a non-conservative Speaker is tyranny of the majority, not the minority.

Tom Delay was one who wouldn't get the support of the majority because he was too conservative, which is why he had to put up the more milquetoast Denny Hastert, and we all know how that turned out.
The Republic is lost.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #163 on: October 15, 2023, 07:13:16 pm »
Spoilt little children who, not having the wherewithal to persuade, stamp their little feet and demand what they cannot have.

What a shame.

Versus cocky frat boys who think they can do what they please and talk out of both sides of their mouth? Sorry if I don't agree to that choice.

That's what got McCarthy into trouble, he agreed to stand alone funding bills and then reneged on that. He was dealing with Dems under the table. Even Nancy Mace called him out on those.

But everyone just wanted to go along in unity, with the pack because he's our guy!
The Republic is lost.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #164 on: October 15, 2023, 07:14:11 pm »
The issue is/was voting against him 14 times until he made promises that gave preferential treatment to a handful of holdouts.   It was either accede to that, or have the House without a Speaker.

In any case, I suspect some of those who supported McCarthy are going to give the Jordan the same treatment Gaetz gave McCarthy in January.  Or just refuse to vote for him at all.

They've got the leverage.

And how is that any different than some 'Gang of X' turdblossom deal?
The Republic is lost.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2023, 07:50:31 pm »
Tom Delay was one who wouldn't get the support of the majority because he was too conservative, which is why he had to put up the more milquetoast Denny Hastert, and we all know how that turned out.

Which backs up my point, not yours.  Delay didn't even run - he supported Hastert.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2023, 07:56:07 pm »
Versus cocky frat boys who think they can do what they please and talk out of both sides of their mouth? Sorry if I don't agree to that choice.

That's what got McCarthy into trouble, he agreed to stand alone funding bills and then reneged on that. He was dealing with Dems under the table. Even Nancy Mace called him out on those.

But everyone just wanted to go along in unity, with the pack because he's our guy!

Spoilt little children who don't have a plan - or the ability - to do anything other than f**k things up.  Gaetz just f**ked things up, without being able to solve anything or put any plan into place, other than some hopium that maybe the majority of the GOP would finally suffer enough Stockholm Syndrome to go along with what the spoilt children wanted.

Maybe if conservatives learned some of the finer points of actually leading, and persuading others, they might actually start getting someplace.  Until then, they're just spoilt little children.

Online libertybele

« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2023, 08:30:56 pm »

...and he didn't on several occasions and that's why he got booted.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2023, 09:06:51 pm »
Could you update the title of this ongoing thread @Cyber Liberty?

Thanks.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #169 on: October 15, 2023, 09:16:14 pm »
Which backs up my point, not yours.  Delay didn't even run - he supported Hastert.

Because again, the moderates wouldn't accept him, proving my point.

It's a one way street with these guys.
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2023, 09:25:32 pm »
Could you update the title of this ongoing thread @Cyber Liberty?

Thanks.

The problem I have is that it will probably be wrong again in 3 days....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #171 on: October 15, 2023, 09:31:50 pm »
The problem I have is that it will probably be wrong again in 3 days....

I only ask because it's confusing the hell out of some of our guests  :laugh:

How about something like "GOP Speaker Race"?

@Cyber Liberty

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2023, 09:52:09 pm »
I only ask because it's confusing the hell out of some of our guests  :laugh:

How about something like "GOP Speaker Race"?

@Cyber Liberty

That sounds doable.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: