Author Topic: Uncertain fate for active protection on Army’s combat vehicles  (Read 269 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Uncertain fate for active protection on Army’s combat vehicles
By Jen Judson
 Oct 9, 06:30 PM

WASHINGTON — The Army installed an active protection system on the M1 Abrams tank and fielded it in Europe, but the fate of other plans to equip similar defense measures on the service’s combat vehicles remains unclear.

In 2016, the Army determined it needed an interim solution to protect the Abrams, Stryker combat vehicle and Bradley fighting vehicle. The service decided to rapidly assess off-the-shelf active protection systems to fulfill the urgent operational need.

Ultimately the Army fielded the Trophy APS, made by Israeli company Rafael Advanced Defense Systems, in a short period of time to Europe. The APS-equipped tanks have operated there over the last three years.

But even the Trophy on Abrams tanks has been challenging.

https://www.defensenews.com/land/2023/10/09/uncertain-fate-for-active-protection-on-armys-combat-vehicles/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Uncertain fate for active protection on Army’s combat vehicles
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 02:54:32 am »
Even ground war has become three-dimensional, from a defensive perspective. Direct fire weapons laterally, drones, missiles, and aircraft from above, and mines and IEDs from below--or maybe I am just recognizing that. Any counter munition system has to take that into account, especially in light of the Ukraine conflict where drones figure so heavily.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis