Author Topic: Legal uncertainty over Veterans Affairs abortion policy worries staff  (Read 200 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Legal uncertainty over Veterans Affairs abortion policy worries staff
By Leo Shane III
 Thursday, Oct 5

Veterans Affairs staffers worry they could run afoul of state laws banning abortion services despite department leaders’ promises of legal protection, according to a recent report released by the VA Inspector General.

The concerns come as President Joe Biden’s nominee to serve as VA’s general counsel remains stalled in the Senate over what appear to be political disagreements regarding the department’s abortion policy. Last week, VA Secretary Denis McDonough called the confirmation delay problematic for his entire department.

“We have 680 attorneys working for VA,” he told reporters. “We are constantly working with Congress and the courts, making sure we are carrying out our business consistent with the statutory obligations of the agency. It is meaningful to have a confirmed general counsel in that slot.”

Anjali Chaturvedi, who currently works as a deputy assistant attorney general in the Justice Department, was nominated by Biden for the top VA legal post in June 2022. Last week, Politico reported that Senate Republicans and Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., have blocked the nomination over concerns about VA abortion policies announced in fall 2023.

https://www.militarytimes.com/management/hr/2023/10/05/legal-uncertainty-over-veterans-affairs-abortion-policy-worries-staff/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Legal uncertainty over Veterans Affairs abortion policy worries staff
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 03:16:47 pm »
This whole abortion fiasco is doing nothing but eroding civilian control of the military which should make communists everywhere in this country happy.  Of course, wokeness is the same as communism so it should be of no surprise.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson