Author Topic: Phasing Out GPS Reliance in U.S. Military Operations: An Imperative in the Face of Emerging Threats  (Read 165 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Phasing Out GPS Reliance in U.S. Military Operations: An Imperative in the Face of Emerging Threats
By Carlo J.V. Caro
September 26, 2023

The United States' military reliance on the Global Positioning System (GPS) poses significant vulnerabilities in the face of emerging threats from adversarial nations like Russia, China, and North Korea. At the moment, Europe is witnessing a conventional war between two nations. In this context, the role of technology, particularly navigation systems, has emerged as a decisive factor for military success.

Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS), such as the American GPS, Europe's GALILEO, China's BEIDOU, and Russia's GLONASS, play an essential role in modern warfare. Despite their different technical specifications—like frequencies and orbits—these systems are designed to be compatible, allowing for greater positional accuracy. However, their signals are susceptible to various forms of interference, such as jamming and spoofing. While there are security measures like anti-spoofing in place, these are not foolproof.

Inaugurated during the Cold War, the Global Positioning System (GPS) was originally developed to provide the U.S. military with unparalleled navigation and timing capabilities. Over the years, this system has become deeply integrated not just into military functions but also in civilian applications. However, this ubiquitous dependency on GPS exposes the U.S. military to substantial vulnerabilities, especially given the anti-satellite capabilities and cyber warfare competencies of Russia, China, and North Korea.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/09/26/phasing_out_gps_reliance_in_us_military_operations_an_imperative_in_the_face_of_emerging_threats_981890.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson