Author Topic: The one thing a grunt must not do  (Read 173 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The one thing a grunt must not do
« on: September 23, 2023, 05:16:41 pm »
The one thing a grunt must not do
By
Uncle Walkie
Sep 21, 2023

A Marine infantryman, also known as a grunt, is a peculiar creature. There is one thing however he must not do.
A Marine infantryman, also known as a grunt, is a peculiar creature. Retired Marine and author Gene Duncan defined grunt as a, “Term of affection used to denote that filthy, sweaty, dirt-encrusted, foot-sore, camouflage-painted, rip-trousered, tired, sleepy, beautiful, little S.O.B who has kept the wolf away from the door for over two hundred years.” A grunt must be tough physically and mentally. His tasks range widely from patrolling, attacking, defending and standing security, accompanied by a whole host of skill sets that complement these missions. Although primarily trained to fight, he will often find himself conducting some sort of peacekeeping, civil disturbance or security and stabilization mission. In other words, he must be able to do a lot of different things. There is one thing, however, he must not do, and that is fall out.

Fall out
First off, a definition must be established. “Fall out” in this context is not the same as the command given in close order drill, which closely resembles “dismissed.” To fall out means failing to maintain the physical stamina to keep going with the rest of the unit. Although manifested as a physical failure, it is quite often a lack of mental toughness. If you fall out, every member of the small unit is there to witness it, and soon, word spreads further. You make your own name by your actions. You are ultimately training and maintaining a preparedness for combat. The other members of your unit need to know that you will be there when it matters under the most arduous conditions. This is why your leaders are hard on you.

Although there may be plausible explanations for falling out, none of them matter. It is nearly impossible to redeem yourself. There’s an unspoken understanding that, “It don’t matter what you know, if you can’t GO!” Presence matters. You must be there and endure the same things as the other guys. You must be able to carry your own weight and be prepared to carry more. Another good one-liner is, “All it takes is all you got.”

https://www.wearethemighty.com/military-news/marine-grunt-must-not-do/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson