Author Topic: A jet on the bottom of the Mediterranean shows why even small parts can cause big problems for the F  (Read 395 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

A jet on the bottom of the Mediterranean shows why even small parts can cause big problems for the F-35
Story by insider@insider.com (Michael Peck) •
53m

A British F-35B crashed during takeoff from the aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth in late 2017.

An investigation found the accident was caused by an air intake cover that was lodged in the intake.

The incident shows that a small problem can have big consequences on a jet like the F-35

Why a US Marine Corps F-35B crashed in South Carolina this week is yet to be determined, but as the crash of a British F-35B two years ago showed, even a simple maintenance error can bring down a $100 million jet.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a-jet-on-the-bottom-of-the-mediterranean-shows-why-even-small-parts-can-cause-big-problems-for-the-f-35/ar-AA1gZAN5?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=96694f126dd9407ca241a780f4e7a6ed&ei=51
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

The incident shows that a small problem can have big consequences on a jet like the F-35

Now there you go!  I wasn't aware a clogged jet intake was a "small problem." *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Now there you go!  I wasn't aware a clogged jet intake was a "small problem." *****rollingeyes*****
Apparently it wasn't.

But this emphasizes that no job is unimportant when it comes to aviation.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

An investigation found the accident was caused by an air intake cover that was lodged in the intake.

I realize that crapping on the F-35 is a cottage industry, but:

1. Failing to remove an air intake cover is a human error. Some plane handler or mechanic screwed up. It is not a design defect or a defective part.

2. Air intake covers are a normal part of storing and maintaining military jet aircraft. For example, this on an F-16:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 02:22:15 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
I realize that crapping on the F-35 is a cottage industry, but:

1. Failing to remove an air intake cover is a human error. Some plane handler or mechanic screwed up. It is not a design defect or a defective part.

2. Air intake covers are a normal part of storing and maintaining military jet aircraft. For example, this on an F-16:

The pilot is obligated to perform a walk-around of the aircraft prior to accepting it. Sounds like there's plenty of blame to go around.

Had an aircraft abort a mission at end of runway due to its configuration.
Test Engineers were using the correct flight clearance form, but no one, including the pilot, bothered to check and notice a 2000lbs. class bomb in the weapons bay that wasn't annotated on the form.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.