Author Topic: California Bans Employment Discrimination by Caste  (Read 188 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
California Bans Employment Discrimination by Caste
« on: September 10, 2023, 01:25:47 pm »
California Bans Employment Discrimination by Caste
A first, this could have serious implications for H-1B

By David North on September 8, 2023
The California legislature, by a thumping majority, has passed legislation banning employment discrimination on the basis of caste. It will be the first law of its kind in the nation.

Who objects to this? Big business? Labor unions? The bankers?

No, none of the above; the objectors are Hindu organizations, presumably led by high-caste Indians, who say that the bill, not yet signed by Governor Gavin Newsom, will produce anti-Indian discrimination.

This argument strikes me as totally specious because the discrimination is within the Indian community. While an Indian employer (or HR person) may notice that the job applicant is from one of the scheduled classes (we do not use “untouchable” anymore), the non-Hindu decision-makers won’t have a clue as to the caste identity of the job applicant. And could care less.

How can one discriminate against someone on a variable that is completely hidden from the decision-maker? You cannot.

https://cis.org/North/California-Bans-Employment-Discrimination-Caste
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson