Author Topic: Online Videos Share Fabricated Story About FEMA and Marines on Maui  (Read 741 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Online Videos Share Fabricated Story About FEMA and Marines on Maui
Story by Alan Jaffe •
16h

The Federal Emergency Management Agency operates a Disaster Recovery Center on Maui and has approved $7 million in assistance to thousands of wildfire survivors. Online videos, however, are sharing a fabricated tale about FEMA’s operations, including a “shootout” with U.S. Marines. The bogus story originated on a satirical website.

Full Story
Following the deadly wildfires on the island of Maui that began on Aug. 8, President Joe Biden declared the fires a major disaster and enlisted federal agencies and the military in recovery efforts, as we’ve written. The number of deaths had reached 115 by Aug. 25 and hundreds of people remained missing.

On Aug. 16, the Federal Emergency Management Agency opened a Disaster Recovery Center at the University of Hawaii Maui College, where residents affected by the fires could apply for federal disaster assistance, contact volunteer organizations and get access to other government resources.

The Biden administration said that nearly 1,000 federal responders were in Hawaii as of Aug. 18 to help the fire victims. FEMA had given $7 million in assistance to more than 2,000 households by Aug. 21.

“Search and rescue teams remain on the ground to assist with efforts and are working diligently to ensure all properties are meticulously searched and any victims and personal property are handled with the utmost reverence and respect,” an Aug. 18 FEMA release also said.

But videos on social media are sharing a fabricated, bizarre story about FEMA’s activities on Maui.

A video posted on Facebook on Aug. 22 shows the headline, “Marines Neutralize Fleeing FEMA Convoy in Maui,” as a woman reads passages from a purported news article.

“United States Marines on Friday ‘neutralized’ a FEMA convoy that fled fire-stricken Lahaina for Haleakalā National Park, a 33,000-acre wilderness and home to the state’s highest peak, Mount Haleakalā, from where FEMA might have escaped had the Marines not downed a helicopter sent to rescue the federal brigands,” the narrator reads.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/online-videos-share-fabricated-story-about-fema-and-marines-on-maui/ar-AA1fMFUQ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=5bc086afb0c042419e103db49275d26b&ei=40
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 01:41:15 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

Re: Online Videos Share Fabricated Story About FEMA and Marines on Maui
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 01:54:33 am »
RealRawNews is a known fake news site that has claimed the military has arrested and court-martialed every public figure in America the past few years.
Yeah, I'm not saying I believe it all, nor that FEMA and the USMC are shooting it out on Maui. I did provide that as one example of the sort of things that get pumped into the void left by officials who aren't talking, something which, in itself feeds paranoia.

The thing that did intrigue me was the mention of secret mass graves, and that might have something to it --or not. There are ample reasons TPTB would want to hide a couple hundred kids burned to death, just to save their own asses, as if the current count isn't bad enough. One would expect, however in a fire of this magnitude the casualty count to rise as the buildings are searched, and that just didn't happen for a while.  Note, though, I called for a GPS on the gravesites. Otherwise, that, too, could be a meaningless assertion devoid of evidence or truth.

From a political standpoint, "missing" victims are preferable to kids roasted in front of their XBOX.

I posted the Cajun Navy podcast for a reason: I consider them to be a much more reliable source.

Note too, that those who were in the water and didn't make it, likely won't be found in the vicinity of Lahaina. Ocean currents, tides, time to gain buoyancy, and marine scavengers would likely reduce the number of recoveries in that instance, and the delays, which might be appropriate to northern climates in winter, work against recovery in summer in a warm climate. Those remains will either have beached (which might make them more recoverable for a few days) or washed out to sea, likely not ever to be recovered.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 02:08:42 am »
Yeah, I'm not saying I believe it all, nor that FEMA and the USMC are shooting it out on Maui. I did provide that as one example of the sort of things that get pumped into the void left by officials who aren't talking, something which, in itself feeds paranoia.

The thing that did intrigue me was the mention of secret mass graves, and that might have something to it --or not. There are ample reasons TPTB would want to hide a couple hundred kids burned to death, just to save their own asses, as if the current count isn't bad enough. One would expect, however in a fire of this magnitude the casualty count to rise as the buildings are searched, and that just didn't happen for a while.  Note, though, I called for a GPS on the gravesites. Otherwise, that, too, could be a meaningless assertion devoid of evidence or truth.

From a political standpoint, "missing" victims are preferable to kids roasted in front of their XBOX.

There have been enough of those sad stories of kids that I don't think it makes a difference.  Bottom line is that eventually, number of dead = number of missing, so the juice of temporarily hiding those deaths isn't worth the squeeze of eventually discovery of an attempted cover up of deaths.

The cover-ups are going to come in the reasons "why".   Like, why did the cops block off roads to prevent people from fleeing?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 06:11:44 am »
Conspiracy theory/wacko satire.
Not the last.

The 'Cajun Navy' is not prone to that shit and has helped thousands at disasters all over.

Funny how people read the first line or two and go off without reading the full article (or comment).

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 06:15:08 am »
There have been enough of those sad stories of kids that I don't think it makes a difference.  Bottom line is that eventually, number of dead = number of missing, so the juice of temporarily hiding those deaths isn't worth the squeeze of eventually discovery of an attempted cover up of deaths.

The cover-ups are going to come in the reasons "why".   Like, why did the cops block off roads to prevent people from fleeing?
It's one thing if the cops blocked the road and there are lines of burned out cars. Then the people may or may not be missing, and may have made their way out on foot.

It's another story if there are kids cremains in the booster seat.  "Missing, presumed dead" is easier to swallow than incinerated due to stupid orders. The former a tragedy, the latter, criminal.

C S Lewis