Author Topic: Trump Will Skip All GOP Primary Debates Now  (Read 767 times)

Offline Kamaji

Trump Will Skip All GOP Primary Debates Now
« on: August 21, 2023, 02:48:20 pm »
Trump Will Skip All GOP Primary Debates Now

BY MATT MARGOLIS
AUGUST 21, 2023

After previously indicating that he would not participate in the first GOP primary debate in Milwaukee, which is scheduled for Wednesday, former president Donald Trump has announced that he won’t participate in any of the 2024 GOP presidential primary debates.

“The public knows who I am & what a successful Presidency I had, with Energy Independence, Strong Borders & Military, Biggest EVER Tax & Regulation Cuts, No Inflation, Strongest Economy in History, & much more. I WILL THEREFORE NOT BE DOING THE DEBATES!” Trump announced Sunday in a post on Truth Social. “Why would I allow people at 1% and 2% and 0% to be hitting me with questions all night?”

“People know my Record, one of the BEST EVER, so why would I Debate? I’M YOUR MAN. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!” he added in another post.

Trump recently urged his GOP primary rivals to withdraw from the race and support his candidacy, citing his commanding lead in the polls. He previously refused to sign a loyalty pledge requiring him to affirm that he will support the eventual GOP nominee. “Why would I sign it?” he asked. “I can name three or four people that I wouldn’t support for president. So right there, there’s a problem.”

Trump clearly believes that there’s no advantage to participating in the debates, but that doesn’t mean this decision won’t backfire on him.

“For the voters at least actively considering someone else along with Trump, their rationale most often is that they’re just keeping their options open. About half of them also say they are ‘waiting to see the debate.’ That might be the most hopeful news for those candidates going into the week,” CBS News reports. “A sizable four in 10 of these voters do cite Trump being ‘controversial’ as another reason for considering others, perhaps reflecting uncertainty about what his future holds, and that it’s a talking point for other candidates. Comparably few currently say it’s because they think Trump could lose to Mr. Biden.”

Source:  https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/matt-margolis/2023/08/21/trump-will-skip-all-gop-primary-debates-now-n1720804

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Trump Will Skip All GOP Primary Debates Now
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 02:50:20 pm »
... because his lawyers don't want him to say something self-incriminating on live television.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 02:53:42 pm »
 Donald Trump Jr., Kimberly Guilfoyle To Attend First GOP Debate Despite Trump Absence

Henry Rodgers and Diana Glebova
Contributor
August 21, 2023 9:57 AM ET

Donald Trump Jr. and Kimberly Guilfoyle will attend the first GOP debate of the 2024 election cycle despite Donald Trump’s absence, the Daily Caller has learned.

“We’re excited to see all of our friends in Milwaukee on Wednesday in support of President Trump. We’re confident that in 2024, GOP voters will reject the RINO establishment and re-nominate President Trump in a landslide,” Trump Jr. and Guilfoyle told the Caller.

The pair are going to do media for the former president and will be promoting their Rumble shows.

The former president previously hinted that he would not participate in the presidential debates and confirmed Sunday that he would not be in attendance.

“The public knows who I am & what a successful Presidency I had, with Energy Independence, Strong Borders & Military, Biggest EVER Tax & Regulation Cuts, No Inflation, Strongest Economy in History, & much more. I WILL THEREFORE NOT BE DOING THE DEBATES!” Trump announced on Truth Social.

Instead, Trump is reportedly planning to sit down with Daily Caller co-founder Tucker Carlson for an interview.

more
https://dailycaller.com/2023/08/21/exclusive-donald-trump-jr-kimberly-guilfoyle-attend-first-gop-debate/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 03:13:14 pm »
... because his lawyers don't want him to say something self-incriminating on live television.

Will make his Presidency hard then, no?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2023, 04:28:26 pm »

I'm thinking that Trump might have - once again - shot off his mouth in a way that hurts potential legal arguments.

Isn't part of Trump's argument that these prosecutions amount to deliberate election interference?  If so, then trials, hearings, etc. that would legitimately interfere with his ability to participate in scheduled Republican primary debates would strengthen that argument. He and his lawyers could argue to the courts that he is unable to participate in debates critical to the primary process because of these trials.  He would at least be making a stronger case by pointing to the conflict between the debates and the trials. 

And even if he doesn't make that argument in court, the argument that trials are a deliberate attempt to prevent him from participating in Republican debates might carry some weight in the court of public opinion.

But by announcing this early that he will not participate in any future debates, his lawyers can no longer argue to the court with a straight face that the trials are interfering with the debate schedule. The prosecution will simply point to Trump's own public statements that he has no intention of participating in any of the debates, which undercuts the arguments his lawyers could otherwise make.

He didn't have to promise to participate - he just had to leave it as an open issue.  Now, he can't.

What a dumbtrump.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 04:30:48 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2023, 04:42:03 pm »
I'm thinking that Trump might have - once again - shot off his mouth in a way that hurts potential legal arguments.

Isn't part of Trump's argument that these prosecutions amount to deliberate election interference?  If so, then trials, hearings, etc. that would legitimately interfere with his ability to participate in scheduled Republican primary debates would strengthen that argument. He and his lawyers could argue to the courts that he is unable to participate in debates critical to the primary process because of these trials.  He would at least be making a stronger case by pointing to the conflict between the debates and the trials. 

And even if he doesn't make that argument in court, the argument that trials are a deliberate attempt to prevent him from participating in Republican debates might carry some weight in the court of public opinion.

But by announcing this early that he will not participate in any future debates, his lawyers can no longer argue to the court with a straight face that the trials are interfering with the debate schedule. The prosecution will simply point to Trump's own public statements that he has no intention of participating in any of the debates, which undercuts the arguments his lawyers could otherwise make.

He didn't have to promise to participate - he just had to leave it as an open issue.  Now, he can't.

What a dumbtrump.

I see you’re not aware of Trump’s (insert number here) dimensional chess skills
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2023, 04:44:10 pm »
I see you’re not aware of Trump’s (insert number here) dimensional chess skills

Is it 6D now?
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2023, 04:45:50 pm »

What a dumbtrump.

:thumbsup:

Offline LMAO

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2023, 04:47:18 pm »
Is it 6D now?

That’s so 2015

We gotta be at least up to the 50 something dimensional chess by now
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline DB

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2023, 04:53:52 pm »
I'd be happy if he skips the debates and the election... Just go away.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2023, 05:01:18 pm »
He will change his mind if he starts tanking in the polls.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2023, 06:15:31 pm »

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2023, 06:17:26 pm »

He doesn't say he won't be responding to the debates ........

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2023, 10:04:48 pm »
No need to show up and be everyone else's punching bag.

Folks who are going to vote for him don't care, anyway.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2023, 10:08:21 pm »

Of course he will. His ego won't allow him to stay silent once he starts sinking.  Either that or he'll do rallies at the same time of the debates.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 10:09:52 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2023, 10:12:21 pm »
Sure he is.  Just wait till we get some GOP rival pinning him down on how he expects to pony up the $15T needed for the construction of Freedom Cities he has promised.

He saw Pedo Joe use the basement strategy, and he is planning to use it too.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2023, 10:38:38 pm »
Andy McCarthy
@AndrewCMcCarthy
Very simple: Trump can’t win. 65% already against him. That’s before Dems launch barrage after getting him nominated. If we finally grasp that, his support will collapse. If not, we lose everything, and Dems use majorities to remake Supreme Court. Nominate him if you want, but that’s reality.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2023, 11:45:30 pm »
Andy McCarthy
@AndrewCMcCarthy
Very simple: Trump can’t win. 65% already against him. That’s before Dems launch barrage after getting him nominated ........

So, Andy's logic is DeSantis *can* win because 88% are already against him?  Do I have that right?

Offline corbe

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2023, 11:50:54 pm »
    Trump is the antifreeze your wife keeps putting in your morning Orange Juice.  Some people here still wonder why they are so sick.  He's poison to the GOP. 
    Where was that Red Wave in 22, even though he wasn't on the ballot? 
    The sooner he drops out the better.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2023, 11:58:47 pm »
    Trump is the antifreeze your wife keeps putting in your morning Orange Juice.  Some people here still wonder why they are so sick.  He's poison to the GOP. 

Trump and his MAGA movement was successfully defined by Biden to voters just a few weeks before the midterms

If a cognitively compromised old man can beat them, what do you think a Whitmer or Newsome would do to them?

Barry Goldwater

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2023, 12:19:04 am »
@corbe

I have wondered about the wave. I was too sick all of last year and completely missed...everything. Here is a long article about it.I can save people time with the money shot at the end.

The last-minute nosedive of Republican fortunes was not about a change in the grand fundamentals of democratic elections. It was not about national conditions or issues, or about candidate quality or internal party divisions, and not about either Biden or Trump. The expectations of a Republican wave reflected public opinion, but their surprising fall from those expectations was not about public opinion at all. It was about the campaign system – the combined elements of mobilization-friendly and early mail-in balloting, large campaign organizations to gather the votes, and an enormous amount of money, all coming together for one party focused on a number of politically important races in competitive states. In many ways, it might be characterized as a 21st century incarnation of the machine politics of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Republicans in 2022 were caught flat-footed in securing reasonable limits to easy/early mail-in voting and were badly outspent by Democrats who used the rules and their resources for rounding up enough votes in the right places to block the red wave. As George Washington Plunkitt, a late 19th century leader of the legendary Tammany Hall political machine, might have said about those running the 21st century version of political machines: “They seen their opportunities and they took ’em.”

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2023/05/16/mystery_at_the_midterm_what_happened_to_the_red_wave_149208.html
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline libertybele

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2023, 12:29:36 am »
Andy McCarthy
@AndrewCMcCarthy
Very simple: Trump can’t win. 65% already against him. That’s before Dems launch barrage after getting him nominated. If we finally grasp that, his support will collapse. If not, we lose everything, and Dems use majorities to remake Supreme Court. Nominate him if you want, but that’s reality.

So many stats show Trump ahead of the game and other stats show Trump losing.

I believe it is too early to really tell.  As I've stated before, Brandon isn't going to be the DEM nominee, nor Chuckles.  They've already selected who they want to be the DEM nominee and it's not going to be one that Trump or any other GOP candidate can easily beat.

Then there's the DEM steal....(sigh)
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2023, 12:33:46 am »
That’s so 2015

We gotta be at least up to the 50 something dimensional chess by now

Could this be considered part of it?  :pondering: