Author Topic: Trump Needs to Either Fight or Drop Out  (Read 181 times)

Offline Kamaji

Trump Needs to Either Fight or Drop Out
« on: August 03, 2023, 12:19:39 pm »
Trump Needs to Either Fight or Drop Out

Derek Hunter
Aug 03, 2023

Who’s ready to be angry? At me, I mean. Because you’re probably about to be…

I don’t have any tattoos. Not because I have any moral objection to them, but because at the age when I would have been likely to get one I realized there was probably nothing I’d like that much for the rest of my life. Tastes change, people grow. What you loved when you were 20 you probably don’t even think about now. The people who love Donald Trump absolutely love Donald Trump. They will love him forever, and more power to them. Personally, I’d never be blindly loyal to a politician, I view that as insane, and I’d never hang flags with obscenities on them on my house or cover my car in similar stickers. Just like tattoos, they’re not for me but I don’t really care what anyone else does with their bodies. They have to explain the words written across their neck, I don’t.

Dealing with presidential politics, however, does impact me and everyone else. Republicans need to win next year, and the frontrunner doesn’t seem to be working all that hard toward that end. Donald Trump does an event every once in a while, usually rallies for the faithful, and that’s about it. An event per week plus social media posts isn’t much more of a campaign than hiding in the basement was.

But Trump is distracted by a lot of legal issues. A lot. They’re garbage, at least most are. But he doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to make them go away. These new charges in DC are a joke, but most people won’t ever hear the punchline so they won’t get it. If Trump wants to win these cases and have a shot at the presidency, he needs to stop trying to delay these them and demand a quick trial.

He's seemingly got every lawyer on the east coast on his payroll, put them to work. There’s no way they couldn’t be ready to go to trial now. Demand it. The government can’t ask for a delay, they’ve brought the charges, take their asses to court and beat them.

Yes, he’ll probably lose in DC, provided his high-priced team can’t get the charges dismissed. But that’s just going to happen anyway with a DC jury, the vindication will come on appeal. But you can’t get to the appeal until you get through the trial. Get moving.

Of course, you’ve got to want this to go away to fight to make it go away….

Trump isn’t paying for his own defense, his campaign donors are. If a significant portion of the money that should be used to run TV ads are diverted to pay lawyers (because they have to be paid or he’d suffer the humiliation of them quitting, thereby calling into question his billionaire status), what chance does a very unpopular candidate have, even against another very unpopular candidate. People don’t seem to realize just how disliked both of these men are. If someone hates both, they’d vote for Biden no matter how bad they view him because they’re even more sick of Trump. It’s not right, it doesn’t make sense, but that doesn’t make it any less true.

Source:  https://townhall.com/columnists/derekhunter/2023/08/03/trump-needs-to-either-fight-or-drop-out-n2626540

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Trump Needs to Either Fight or Drop Out
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 12:29:34 pm »
The problem is that if Trump short-circuits the investigatory/trial phase in a rush to get to an appeal, the factual record won't be as developed, and he'll be weakening the scope of his appeal.  He could still win on purely legal issues, but it would increase the risk that he'd lose.