Author Topic: Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell is Bad Immigration Policy. Florida is Fixing That  (Read 153 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell is Bad Immigration Policy. Florida is Fixing That
July 11, 2023

America’s Founding Fathers understood that effective management of their new nation required a continuous understanding of its inhabitants. They expressed that need in Article 1, Section 2 — one of the first provisions of the U.S. Constitution — by specifying that a count of the entire population is to be undertaken for the purpose of legislative representation. This set the legal authority for a decennial census and the collection of data which serves as the basis for the orderly apportionment of Congress, and for how and where government resources are spent. 

Acquiring knowledge about who and what you’re dealing with is not exclusive to public administration. Carpenters live by the “measure twice, cut once” adage, while CEOs adhere to management consultant Peter Drucker’s famous advice, “You can’t improve what you don’t measure.”

Likewise, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis recently approved a bill which, among other things, will help determine the number of illegal aliens accessing taxpayer-subsidized health care benefits. SB 1718 requires hospitals that accept Medicaid to inquire about immigration status on patient admission forms. Those hospitals are then required to submit that information to the Agency for Healthcare Administration which will calculate Florida’s annual cost of uncompensated care for illegal aliens residing in Florida.

https://www.fairus.org/blog/2023/07/11/dont-ask-dont-tell-bad-immigration-policy-florida-fixing
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson