Author Topic: Recruiting the all-volunteer force requires a whole of nation approach  (Read 299 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Recruiting the all-volunteer force requires a whole of nation approach
BY KEVIN SCHMIEGEL, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR - 07/09/23 2:00 PM ET

FILE – Students in the new Army prep course stand at attention after physical training exercises at Fort Jackson in Columbia, S.C., Aug. 27, 2022. The Army fell about 15,000 soldiers — or 25% — short of its recruitment goal this year, officials confirmed Friday, Sept. 30, despite a frantic effort to make up the widely expected gap in a year when all the military services struggled in a tight jobs market to find young people willing and fit to enlist. (AP Photo/Sean Rayford, File)
Last week the all-volunteer force celebrated its 50th anniversary, and the Department of Defense continued its “full court press,” calling upon the newest generation of Americans to serve in our military.

At the end of last year, senior leadership from across DOD took bold steps, not only acknowledging widespread recruiting shortages, but publicly appealing to young people to consider a path to a better future that starts in the armed forces.

On the heels of an opinion piece by the Wall Street Journal Editorial Board last October, the service secretaries from the Army, Navy, and Air Force wrote their own OpEd in the same publication just 10 days later.

But did their passionate plea reach its intended audience? To get the attention of a generation that relies heavily on mobile devices and social media for information, DOD opted for an 800 word op-ed in a business-focused, international daily newspaper rather than mediums like YouTube, Instagram, and Tik Tok where young people spend four or more hours each day.

https://thehill.com/opinion/congress-blog/4087630-recruiting-the-all-volunteer-force-requires-a-whole-of-nation-approach/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
But recruit patriotic, white males only as a last resort! :thud:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Yes, but it should not give preferences based on race, gender, sex, or any other characteristic that is irrelevant to one's ability to fight and follow orders.

Furthermore, it should not involve the recruitment of the obviously mentally ill, like so-called "trans".

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
The military is still whistling past the graveyard on why the recruiting numbers are down so far: 

1) Toxic leadership, peacetime garrison BS, and general poor treatment of service people, which is heavily documented on social media (i.e. W.T.F. US Army and Terminal Lance);
2) continual apathy and lying within the chain of command,
3) officers more concerned with career climbing that taking care of the troops;
4) stifling bureaucracy;
5) general rot from the top;
6) incompetence and inability to win wars anymore;
7) the imposition of DEI at all levels of the military;
8) forced COVID vaccination, accompanied by threats and separations without benefits for those who refuse;
9) uncertainty as to whether or not the military would actually turn on American civilians during unrest, as was suggested with the National Guard during and after January 6th;
10) post-service horror stories about the VA.

I have a close buddy in the Guard who was sent to DC after January 6th as part of Pelosi's militarized security force for the Capitol, and he and his buddies actually had that conversation.  He decided that if given the order to fire on American citizens then he would not comply and slip away.  We actually made arrangements to go and pick him up somewhere in case that came to pass.  fortunately it didn't.  But his commanders were considering it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 03:06:42 pm by Timber Rattler »
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
   He decided that if given the order to fire on American citizens then he would not comply and slip away.   

Why slip away?  Gen. Milley demonstrated following orders of your superiors isn't part of the woke military.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Has anyone considered that this is being done deliberately as a setup-to-fail?
The Republic is lost.