Author Topic: 4 dead, 2 critically injured in NYC e-bike store fire  (Read 335 times)

Offline Kamaji

4 dead, 2 critically injured in NYC e-bike store fire
« on: June 20, 2023, 12:21:44 pm »
4 dead, 2 critically injured in NYC e-bike store fire

By Amanda Woods
June 20, 2023

Four people were killed and two others left clinging to life when a massive fire ripped through a Lower Manhattan e-bike store early Tuesday, officials said.

Two men and two women died in the blaze that erupted around 12:15 a.m. on the first floor of six-story 80 Madison Street, which houses the HQ E-Bike Repair, authorities said.

Two other women are listed in critical condition, according to police.

The FDNY reported a total of nine victims in the early-morning inferno, including one firefighter and one EMT, both with minor injuries, cops said.

Those injured were taken to Bellevue Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical Center and NewYorkPresbyterian facilities, according to the FDNY.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/20/4-dead-2-critically-injured-in-nyc-e-bike-store-fire/

Offline Kamaji

Re: 4 dead, 2 critically injured in NYC e-bike store fire
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 12:21:53 pm »
Those things are downright dangerous.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 12:52:34 pm »
The cause remains under investigation.

The vehicles' lithium batteries are probably the prime suspect. The electric bikes should be banned or required to encase the batteries in a durable fire-proof enclosure. But EVs being Progs' darlings-of-the-future, a goobermental blind eye * will be turned toward lithium batteries' volatility.

* Did we get that phrase from Lord Nelson?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 12:54:40 pm »
The vehicles' lithium batteries are probably the prime suspect. The electric bikes should be banned or required to encase the batteries in a durable fire-proof enclosure. But EVs being Progs' darlings-of-the-future, a goobermental blind eye * will be turned toward lithium batteries' volatility.

Exactly.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2023, 05:08:29 am »

The problem with that is that the rapid production of combustion byproducts would pressure up any casing, effectively turning the battery into a bomb. Venting sufficient to allow those byproducts to escape without pressuring the casing up would be inadequate to prevent a fire and defeat the purpose of having that casing in the first place.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2023, 07:46:01 am »
Why not just ride bicycles powered by pedals and sprockets?

Simple and fool-proof technology that has worked for over a century,plus peddling one around is good for your health.

Assuming of course that you are an adult  bicycle  geek.

I see people peddling those things hundreds of miles. Some even have small trailers they pull behind them,and I am assuming that is where the small tent and the cooking gear is stored. I see them all the time with flashing lights on the rear that are powered by the pedals,and usually with  flags flying high to attract attention from motor vehicle operators.

Not for me at my  age,but I can see how it would  attract younger and healthier people.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!