Author Topic: Grocery store CEO reveals when Americans will see relief in the aisles  (Read 952 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
June 17, 2023 7:00am EDT
Grocery store CEO reveals when Americans will see relief in the aisles
Grocery prices accelerated again in May despite cooling inflation

By Agustin Hays FOXBusiness

As inflation begins to cool down, grocery store shoppers are still waiting for relief in the aisles as Americans continue to pay top dollar to feed their families.

CEO and president of Stew Leonard's supermarket chain Stew Leonard Jr. addressed when shoppers may finally see prices dip on "The Claman Countdown" Tuesday.

"We're hoping maybe next year and the year after prices will come down or at least stabilize," Leonard Jr. said.

The Labor Department said Tuesday that the consumer price index, a broad measure of the price for everyday goods including gasoline, groceries and rents, rose just 0.1% in May from the previous month, far lower than the 0.4% increase recorded in April.

But grocery prices, a visceral reminder of inflation for many Americans, accelerated again in May with food costs jumping 0.2% after falling the previous two months.

Consumers continued to pay more for staples like bread, meats like ham, beef and fresh vegetables, including potatoes, lettuce and tomatoes.

"We saw a little easing with the CPI just coming up, but, you know, basically you have a lot of costs that have increased right now, like labor, for instance," Leonard Jr. noted. "We've had to raise our starting rates from paying $17 an hour right now to get great people. So, you know, a lot of those costs you have to pass on a little bit."

He also added stores are feeling the impacts of supply and demand.

"Right now, demand is up. Obviously, prices will be up a little bit."

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/grocery-store-ceo-reveals-americans-relief-aisles
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Eggs are down this week, but things like shortening and mayonnaise are really high.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Eggs are down this week, but things like shortening and mayonnaise are really high.  :shrug:

Gas price is up fifty cents a gallon here. The guy saying food prices may drop next year isn't encouraging.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Hoodat

If they are expecting prices to return to 2020 levels, that isn't going to happen unless the US Treasury hands over $5 trillion to the Fed, and they wipe it off the books.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

Gas went up 25 cents the other day. Why these big jumps?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Gas went up 25 cents the other day. Why these big jumps?

They use excuses like OPEC curtailing oil production but I just call it greed.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Fred with the head wrote:
"Gas price is up fifty cents a gallon here."

At the same time, crude oil prices have been trending DOWNWARD.

Crude has dropped below the $70 mark into the high 60's several times.
Yet, gas at the pump is jumping 'way up over what it should be with crude at these prices...

Offline libertybele

Fred with the head wrote:
"Gas price is up fifty cents a gallon here."

At the same time, crude oil prices have been trending DOWNWARD.

Crude has dropped below the $70 mark into the high 60's several times.
Yet, gas at the pump is jumping 'way up over what it should be with crude at these prices...

I just paid $3.59/gal the other day.  Grocery prices are ridiculous.  I don't see relief; I can't recall the last time that I've seen grocery prices come down.  It sure seems once they rise and the manufacturers shrink packaging, the cost stays or gets higher.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

They use excuses like OPEC curtailing oil production but I just call it greed.

I call it Brandon sold off our reserves! 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

I can get eggs a little cheaper if I buy larger quantities and locally.  I just paid $6.99 for a jar of Hellman's mayo. Duke's was on sale for $5+ something; I guess I should give it a taste.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Note, also, that product sizes are diminishing.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

If they are expecting prices to return to 2020 levels, that isn't going to happen unless the US Treasury hands over $5 trillion to the Fed, and they wipe it off the books.

That's right... They need to heat government buildings with burning Benjamins...

Offline libertybele

Note, also, that product sizes are diminishing.

That is so disheartening....it happened significantly during the Carter years and again now.  That's what I mean; prices and products shrinking aren't going to bounce back.  Prices will remain high and product packaging will remain downsized.

Offline DB

Well, the left is and has been waging war on food and energy. There are consequences to that. All it does is lower our standard of living while transferring our wealth to the producers of these more expensive mandates. The more success they have, the more they will enslave us.

Offline LMAO

Gas was down to 3.39 at a local station today after being at 3.49
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hoodat

I can get eggs a little cheaper if I buy larger quantities and locally.  I just paid $6.99 for a jar of Hellman's mayo. Duke's was on sale for $5+ something; I guess I should give it a taste.

Ditch both of them for Blue Plate.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-